010. AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT

"You know, you really should stop by the Big Ben sometime. It has nice scenery." I felt Harry coo as he peered over my shoulder. "I can't even fucking believe you." I muttered under my breath, but still loud enough so he could hear me. "I thought you got pissy and left." I added as Harry swooped into the seat beside me.

"You cant get rid of me that easily." Harry smirked. "You especially should know this by now." He faked a yawn and wrapped his arm around beside me, making me squirm and release from his grip.

"Oh God, please don't start." I laughed as the flight attendant in front of me secured the last few bags into the cabin. She was beginning her speech about seatbelts and what to do in case of an emergency, but I simply tuned her out. "Heading back to Holmes Chapel I see?" Harry asked me, peering at my ticket in my hand.

"Perhaps. I want you to explain to me how you knew I was riding this plane at this very second. It's quite creepy, and I'd like to know your excuse." I stated very matter-of-factly. Harry nodded and pressed his lips into a thin line, rubbing his temples with two fingers. "You know your hotel room was quite messy, right? It's easy to see your plane tickets lying around. That's all I'll say."

"Oh, so now you're stalking me?" I said, probably a little too loud. A mother glared at me from behind her, and I quickly apologized as Harry chuckled to himself. "God, you watch too much crime television. For fucks sake, I just saw your ticket lying on the ground and I felt bad about our fight. So, I did what any normal friend would do and I decided to accompany you on this journey." Harry rolled his eyes then smiled as he explained.

Slowly, I nodded my head. "You know I really didn't need the company. I have Bella." I added as the plane began to take off. I gripped the arm rests tightly as I felt the aircraft ascend, making my ears pop uncomfortably.

"No, you don't." Harry laughed again as he pointed a few seats in front of us. Bella was seated next to a much older man, twirling her hair around her finger as the two spoke quite flirtatiously with each other.
I shuddered with disgust and waved her off, not wanting to witness anymore of her desperation. "See? I'm always right." Harry smiled and patted my shoulder.

"I wouldn't say always." I tried to yawn in an attempt to get the awful pressure and popping out of my ears. I should have brought gum. Why didn't I bring gum?As if he could read my mind, Harry placed a stick into my hand. I stared at him for a moment and quickly unwrapped it, putting it into my mouth and beginning to chew.

"What would you say then? Forever?" Harry pointed at the card peeking out of my backpack. The one he had written across, of course. "I see your card wasn't very original then." I joked and chewed more. The popping sensation still hadn't left my ears. It was quite annoying, I felt like I couldn't hear well.

"What's planned for back home?" Harry asked as he changed the subject. Back home? I forgot he was on a plane. To our home town. That he hadn't been too in three years. "Not sure about you. I'm planning on returning to normal life, away from all of the annoying camera-men." My voice had a condescending tone. "I agree. I'm going to enjoy that, for sure." He added with a small nod.

"Where are you staying?" I asked Harry. "Erm, I dunno yet. My mother is on a holiday with Gemma. Something about an early Christmas present. I thought it was strange because it's early December, but I suppose they can do whatever they'd like." Harry rambled when he got nervous, and I knew what he was doing.

"So what I'm hearing is that you need a place to stay because Anne doesn't trust you alone in her house."
I rolled my eyes as Harry smiled. He was so obviously lying, but I always played along. "Mhm." He murmured and twisted the rings around his fingers. The plane was in the air now, zooming through the clouds. Harry reached over my lap and shut the little window slider, claiming the sun hurt his eyes.

"And I'm also hearing that you need somewhere to stay .. for Christmas?" I added as I flipped through the calendar in my phone. The date was December 14th. Harry nodded, "I guess so, if you put it that way."

"God, you exhaust me." I laughed a little to myself, which made Harry smile. The plane rides duration lasted about two hours, leaving me to exit the plane at around 11 pm. Harry grabbed my bag for me, along with his and lead us out of the plane. Bella waited for us at the exit with a tell-tale grin, as if she had so much to say.

"Oh, nice to finally see you Bel." I rolled my eyes as I walked towards her and wrapped her into a large hug. "Hi Maggie." She grinned with a small wave, returning my hug.

"How was your little date?" I asked as we began to walk, Harry trailing behind us with our bags. "Good. Yours?" She asked nonchalantly, gazing back at Harry who immediately stopped in his tracks. His face turned a pinkish color which in turn made me smile sheepishly. "It wasn't a date, you little shit." He sneered at Bella, making her roll her eyes and mumble a soft 'whatever.'

We rented a small car for the ride back home, and began the half hour journey back to the nothingness that was Holmes Chapel. The vague familiarity of the rolling hills and grey tinted sky brought me at peace. That dreary dull grey color had become one of my favorites. When I was away from home, I often found myself missing it. I longed for the safety that the small English town brought me, even if it was boring.

The car drove up a gravel road, making me grip a little tighter onto the seat. Exactly two and a half minutes and we'd be there. I spent so much time memorizing this route. In fact, I think Harry was driving the vehicle too fast. We were ahead of schedule. I couldn't wait to see my family. I missed them a ton. We'd already decided Bella would stay with me, just like she always did. For God's sake, she had her own room next to mine.

A minute and forty-five now. The gravel was only thickening, I could feel it in the tires. I missed the feeling of passing the cow pasture on my way home everyday. I hadn't even been in London for long, but it was moments like this that made me realize I belonged in this place. Nobody spoke in the car. I'm not sure what the other two were thinking, but I knew what I was thinking. I couldn't wait to hug my parents, my brother, and to sleep in my own bed. I couldn't wait to see my little dog, I couldn't wait to —

"We're here." Harry cleared his throat as he stopped the car. He looked over at me in the passenger seat, then back at Bella who sat in the back middle. Bella and I exchanged a glance then immediately followed it up with a big grin and ran out of the car like a couple of little kids.

Me and my twenty-something best friend ran past the driveway, unlocking the back fence and greeting my small old dog. She wagged her little white tail with excitement as Bella and I crouched down, stroking her soft fur gently. I eventually stood back up and made my way into my house through the back door, seeing Harry already inside at the kitchen island.

He hovered over the countertops with two suitcases behind him as he read a small piece of paper, his eyebrows furrowed into deep confusion. He handed the note to Bella who came running inside and allowed her to read it. "Looks like your parents are the ones that went on a surprise holiday." Harry concluded as I peered over the note on Bella's shoulder.

"And they didn't think to invite me?!" I exclaimed and threw my hands into the air with a tone of frustration. "I suppose not." Bella said and placed the note back onto the counter. I sighed and shut the back door after my dog Lucy walked back in the home, reaching for my suitcase behind Harry.

"I guess it's just us for the next week, then."

THANKS FOR READING

VOTE / COMMENT

© someghoststories