Chapter V

A shutter startles me awake, my body instantly springing up ready to run. Big mistake. My head collides with someone else's forehead and pain sprouts throughout. A loud groan of discomfort comes from the other person, tears well up in my eyes as the pain becomes almost unbearable.

I've always had a low pain tolerance. I look through my eyelashes to find Abel straddling my hips as he rubs his forehead, his whole face scrunched up in pain.

"S-s-s-so- sorry" I whimper, more tears prickling at the back of my eyes. Abel looks up and his eyes widen in concern.

"No I am so sorry. I shouldn't have been taking picture while you were sleeping..." He trails off and looks down at the phone in his hand, "you just looked so cute and I wanted to take a picture. It's a breach of your privacy and I am so sorry."

His eyes stayed cast down as I stared at him. "C-cute?" I stutter, red brushes across his face touching the tip of his ears. He bashfully stands up and runs away. That was so random. Shaking my head, I clear my thoughts and stand up to follow Abel out of the living room, a blanket slivers down my leg. Quinn must have put it there when I was sleeping.

I look around the room in search of the time. It was only a little past 2 in the afternoon. I'm surprised Abel came back so early. Lively chatter came from somewhere so I follow the sound to the kitchen. Abel and Quinn sit beside each other, talking animatingly. I must admit they spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

Both turn to me as I enter the room, two pair of eyes glide down my body then back to my eyes. I must look like shit right now. My muddy blonde hair fell over my shoulders messily while the loose pants I was wearing sat loosely on my hip bones.

"Oskar should be returning home in a few hours." Abel slices through the silence with his soothing low voice. I nod and sit next to Quinn on his right. Quinn scrolls through his phone, occasionally tapping on the screen. A little red heart popping up whenever he double taps on the pictures.

"Do you want to read something?" Abel suddenly asks, my body flinches at the thought of trying to read.

"I-I don't know how to read." I mumble looking down in shame. I never learnt, I don't remember when I arrived on the street but while I was there, reading or learning to read wasn't an opportunity. I look up to find Quinn and Abel staring at me with sympathetic eyes. I don't like that look.

Quinn turns to look at Abel, his eyebrows furrowing and his eyes hardening in anger. Why was he angry? Did he think Abel's offering was stupid? Abel stared back at Quinn, not breaking away from the glare Quinn was giving Abel. This is the second time this has occurred.

"Don't look at me like that." Abel's voice drops down to a low warning tone. It's the first time I've heard him use this tone before and I would be lying if I said it didn't send shivers down my spine. Nor good or bad. Quinn turns away and stares at the ground as a flush covers his face. I don't quite understand why Quinn is angry at Abel. Abel didn't know that I couldn't read so there was nothing to blame him for.

"Come, I'll take you to the Oskar's office. He has all the books in there." I follow Abel turning corners and finally stopping at two large white doors. He pushes open the door and we walk inside. It was huge. Entering the office, the first thing anyone would notice was the dark oak bookcases that took up the left wall. In the corner was a black leather sofa while in front was a dark oaky looking desk with a wheelie chair behind it. Large windows sat behind the chair, letting air and light fill the room.

My eyes widen a fraction at the towering book cases. Old and new books were scattered across the cases. My fingers twitch. I want to touch it.

"Let's start with something easy." He hums as he drags his fingers along the books, he halts to a stop when his eyes catch what they must've been looking for. He pulls out a small light blue and green book with a duck in the middle.

On it read 'The Ugly Duckling' in a swirly like writing. I didn't know what it was called but adults tend to write in it. He hands it over to me with a smile. I gently take the book from his hands, accidently brushing my fingers on his. I flipped open the story, and stare down at the simple sentences. Large colourful pictures took up the pages as I continued to look through it.

There were extremely simple words that I knew but most of them were rather hard to figure out. I take a seat on the leather chair, feeling myself sink into it. Abel was still staring at me but I ignored his stare as I focused on piecing out the words.

A sigh passes my lips when I know I can't read any further. Abel sits down beside me.

"Do you want help?" He asks, his grey eyes pouring into mine. I nod my head, there wasn't any point in continuing if I couldn't even finish a simple sentence. He starts to read aloud and I follow along, every time there's a word, I don't know I scrunch up my nose he'll stop instantly. He explains how it's said and read.

We move onto another story, and another. By the time we were finished the sun was setting and the door downstairs slams closed. Oskar making it obvious that he's home.

"Come on, let's go and greet Oskar." Abel and I stand up from the couch and head downstairs. Quinn is nowhere in sight. While Oskar is furrowing his eyebrows together as he leans against the closed doors.

"Bad day at work?" Abel asks from behind me. Oskar hums but doesn't say anything as Abel walks over to him.

"One of the regular Doms at the club was caught using drugs on the Subs. Now the Subs are having trouble trusting anyone in the club and it's causing trouble." Oskar sighs, rubbing his forehead. Subs? Doms? Club? I've never heard those sort of terms before. It doesn't sound good from what I can piece together.

"I hope everything returns back to it's normal state. I'm sure soon enough the Sub's will learn that the Doms aren't going to bring any harm to any of them." Oskar nods in agreement and straightens up his shoulders.

"I'm sure overtime everything will blow over." Abel hums and leads Oskar over to me. "For now I'll make dinner and you can relax. Maybe even find a name for him and see if he likes it." Abel says talking about me. Am I going to get a name? Oskar's mood seems to light up at the thought as he fast walks into the kitchen.

"Honey, can you get Quinn please. He's most likely in his room. It's the door just across from yours." I nod and head upstairs to find Quinn. I knock on his door gently then slowly open it. I peak through the gap in the door to find Quinn asleep on his bed. Should I wake him? I should, Abel told me to get him.

I tiptoe over the bed; the blankets are tucked under Quinn's chin as he sleeps peacefully.

"Quinn?" I poke his cheek softly but get no response. "Quinn" I call again but nothing happens. Suddenly, a hand wraps around my waist and I'm pulled onto the bed, a girly squeal escaping me before I can stop it.

I fall onto the sheets with a light thump, just barely missing Quinn. My face muffled by the pillow as I attempt to get up. Quinn's arm still wrapped tightly around my hips. I turn my face to the right and relax slightly when I notice he's still asleep.

"Quinn, wake up we need to go downstairs." Quinn grumbles but doesn't make any attempt to move. A sigh passes my lips as I let my body relax ever so slightly. Shivers run down my spine when a cold gust of wind runs over my body. Quinn pulls me closer, his warmth transferring over to mine making it a little less cold. This isn't so bad. I think to myself as I snuggle into the crook of his neck.