𝐗𝐈𝐈.

Chapter XII.
Deals with the Devil

Silence ensued. 

No one dared to break the tense environment that they were all in. Not even the arrogant-looking prince who always had something terrible to say.

Aleksander turned to Irina who had been looking at her father in confusion after he had spoken. As if sensing his gaze on her, she looked at him, her eyes questioning. 

Even if she had asked him aloud what he was doing there, he would not have an answer for her. Even he did not know the reason he was called to the king's receiving room. 

All he knew was that he was woken roughly, hauled out of the dungeons, straight to the Grand Palace, and finally to the king's receiving room where the Lantsov family sat before he could even utter a single word of protest.

He did not know what to expect from this king. If he were anything like the last one, he would have killed him immediately and strung up his body for the world to see. Would have done anything to prove his power.

Luckily for him, this king seemed to think about his actions. A tricky one to deal with, perhaps. However right now, killing Aleksander would not be in his best interest, especially since his daughter was a Grisha. 

A very powerful Grisha at that. 

Irina Lantsov may not know it, but the power she possesses is extraordinary. She was a Heartrender, a skilled one, though after what she was able to do for her father, he had some suspicions that she could do more. Much more. 

"Is it true you're a Shadow Summoner? Like the Black Heretic?" The youngest prince asked, his fingers still sticky with sugar. 

Aleksander found himself smiling at such an innocent question.

If only they knew.

"Yes, moi tsarevich. I do have the ability to summon the shadows." Aleksander nodded, clasping his hands in front of him, free to do so now that his hands were no longer cuffed.

The little prince hesitantly looked up at his sister, as if asking for permission. When she nodded, he perked up, asking. "Can you show me?"

All the guards surged forward, but once the king raised his hand to stop them from interfering, they all returned to their posts. Their postures were stiff and their eyes worried.

Aleksander almost rolled his eyes at their panic. If he had wanted to kill them, he would have done so long ago. 

In response to Prince Igor's request, Aleksander raised his hand slightly, flicking his fingers and summoning a small piece of shadow. 

The shadow curled through the table like a snake before wrapping its tendrils around a pastry and dropping it on the youngest prince's hand.

Prince Igor looked at the pastry in wonder, letting out a laugh before attempting to clap his hands. He looked to the Shadow Summoner, an adorable smile gracing his mouth. "Thank you, sir."