𝐗𝐕𝐈.

Chapter XVI.
A Test of Blood

Irina hiked through the garden once again, huffing and puffing

It was too early. The sun had barely risen up the sky, its beams not even visible yet as the grounds were covered in an eerie glow.

Darkness lingered at the edges of the clouds, taking its place in the sky like it was one of the heavenly beings. 

Aleksander had sent a messenger that night to tell her to go to their training spot early in the morning. 

Six o'clock to be precise. 

Ever the punctual person, she woke up ten minutes earlier to get dressed and to wash her face. She didn't know what it was he wanted to do and why Dima will not be joining them but she was a bit excited.

The success of using her abilities for a week now did a lot for her self-esteem and made her feel, if she were being honest, like she could take on the world. 

She decided to put on more comfortable boots, not the prissy sandals she usually wore around the court.

If Aleksander had decided to unleash something upon her again, she would be ready. Granted, she would probably scream and run, but at least now, she would have the proper shoes for doing so. 

Irina drudged in the grass, the morning dew getting stuck to the hems of her white gown, making her aware of where she was every now and then. 

By the time she reached their training ground, light had begun to shine through despite the gloominess. She supposed light would always come, even after a long time of waiting. 

Irina's face broke into a smile when she saw a familiar figure with onyx hair. "Aleksander!"

Aleksander turned around, nodding to her politely. "Irina. Good morning." 

"Morning." She responded, trying to act nonchalant. "What will we be doing today? Got any new guards to release upon me?" 

He chuckled at that. "No, but that would surely be a sight. Should I ask Dimitri to find some friends to make it possible?"

"Don't you dare." She said, widening her eyes. She wandered over to his side, looking at what he was staring at before she arrived. "Is that-"

"The Grisha sanctuary being built, yes." He replied, smiling proudly at the feat. "The workers and supplies arrived today."

Wood planks were being situated and a base was being built. It wasn't much now, but she knew that in time, it would become something great. 

As if not helping herself, Irina placed a hand on his arm, making him turn to her. "It's begun."

"What has?" Aleksander asked, tilting his head in confusion. 

"Your dream of a world where Grisha will not be hunted. It's happening right before our very eyes." She said, her eyes bright. "I hope some historian out there would record such a moment. I mean, better that than recording which noble likes to buy fur."