Remember the rules

Twenty-five minutes later and Jasmin walked out of the bedroom in the polka-dot dress and the three inches, black, open toe heel her and red hair she let fall over her shoulder, giving her both enchanting and innocent look.

She tried on a few items in the makeup kit Cainan had gotten for her, which were lipstick, powder and mascara. She wanted to look good for him, even when she didn’t think she should.

Her eyes travelled to Cainan, who was standing in the room staring down at his phone and whatever was on it was important enough to make him not note her. He hadn’t changed from his clothes, but he looked delicious and after what happened earlier, her body cried for him to take control. She shook the thoughts out of her head and she cleared her throat and his head snapped up.

His eyes grew wide in admiration and he slipped his phone into his pocket before stepping forward towards her. She hadn’t had someone stare so fondly at her before, and she didn’t know how to respond.

“You look amazing, Jasmin.”

Although butterflies rumbled in her stomach in response, she winked and smirked at him. “I know. Shall we go now?”

“One more thing.” he dipped a hand into the pocket of his trousers and pulled out a golden necklace before walking up to her. He slipped her hair to the side and locked the necklace around her neck. “Now we shall,” he spoke and without hesitation, he took her hand and led her out of the apartment.

.

“If they ask how we met?” Jasmine spoke on the way to Ada’s resident.

“We tell them the truth.” He replied, his eyes fixed on the road.

Her eyes widened and her heart dropped in her chest at his suggestion and she stared at him, wondering if he was seriously asking her to tell his family about that unfortunate day. As adventurous as that may sound, that would not be the right story to tell, and she couldn’t believe he proposed that.

“The look on your face.” he chuckled, mocking her terrified expression.

“You’re an asshole.” She rolled her eyes, but her cheek burnt in embarrassment.

“Oh, gorgeous, I know.”

When he finally had a fill of making fun of her reaction, he decided it was best to tell his mom they had met at the fundraising dinner. It was more acceptable than the actual first time they met. At the fundraiser she was there, serving the guests and he was there with Faith and they met after she didn’t get Faith’s order right and she was going to have her neck and he intervened after that time they saw each other again that same night and he apologised for Faith’s behaviour and asked her for her name and number and she gave them to him and here they were.

They reconstructed parts of the truth and in hopes Ada, Cainan’s mom, whom he said had a very inquisitive trait, would believe the story without doubt. Cainan also briefed her about his mother and her new family.

He told her that Ada met her husband Donald Abayomi a few years ago and he only got to know of his existence two years ago when he finally got back on his feet after his wife’s death. The couple got married on Christmas of that same year and Ada had happily lived with him ever since.

Cainan had visited, but not as often as he should because, although they had two things in common (his mother and the fact that both of them were widows), he felt like the outcast amongst them. Donald was a widow for ten years and he had a wife with whom he has two daughters and one son with and they were all in their twenties. The two oldest, Lisa and Daniel, were working with him at his oil refinery company, while the youngest, Remi, was still studying medicine.