Bonus: Shift in the world of Panic

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, 2021 only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

* * *

"This is incredibly stupid," Kayden mumbled as she pushed her way through the cornfield, "and I still can't believe we're doing this."

It was late at night. There was no light except for the small beams coming from her and Lexi's iPhones. And the only thing around them were endless rows of tall green cornstalks.

"It's going to be okay," Lexi said, ever the optimist as they pushed through the stalks.

Kayden kept her eyes to the ground, looking out for tripwires and beartraps and other reported "booby traps" that were supposedly set up all over this farm. "I don't know how we're supposed to win this thing. We're going to lose, or die trying, and we're going to be stuck in this stupid small town forever and—"

Lexi stopped, took hold of her cousin's shoulder, and stared her straight in the eye. "We won't die," she said firmly. "We're going to get out of this town alive. I promise."

Kayden could feel her eyes welling with tears. She wanted to believe Lexi so badly, but it was hard to after everything they had gone through.

It had all started a few weeks ago. One day, they had been living their normal lives—Kayden in New Jersey, Lexi in Miami—and the next, they had both woken up in a motel room in the small city of Carp, Texas. They didn't know how they had gotten there, but what was even weirder was that everyone in the town seemed to know them. It was as if they had lived in Carp their whole lives.

But they knew better. Kayden could remember everything before Carp: her mundane life back in New Jersey, and her recent summer adventure where she had met her boyfriend Blaze. He wasn't just a boyfriend, though; he was a wizard. Which is why when she and her cousin had woken up in a new state with new lives, she had immediately suspected something magical was afoot.

She and Lexi had laid low for a while, scoping out the town, thinking that whatever spell had plucked them from their lives would reverse itself in a few days and they'd find themselves back in their respective hometowns. But when that didn't happen, they had started to plot out how they could get back home on their own. Although they both had cell phones, they only seemed to be able to make local calls—any attempt to reach their parents or anyone else outside Texas only resulted in odd crackles on the lines.

And so eventually they realized that the only way to get back to their old lives was to find a way out of Carp the old-fashioned way: by plane. There was a small airport at the edge of town that flew to Dallas, with connecting flights to most major cities in America. The problem? Except for a small bit of cash they had found in an old shoebox in the motel room, they had no money.

It had seemed hopeless—until they heard about Panic.

It was a yearly contest hosted by a few anonymous high school students. The prize was $50,000. The catch? You had to compete in dangerous challenges—so dangerous, in fact, that two students had died playing the game last year.