TWENTY-NINE.1

Blaze woke up naturally for what felt like the first time in years. No one had knocked on his door to rouse him; no alarm had sounded to draw him from his sleep. He had simply found himself awake in bed, feeling slightly sore from the day before, but well rested. He looked at the clock on the nightstand and noted that it was 11:37am. It was the latest he had slept since they had first arrived in California.

The night before had been the large celebratory party. He was not much of a dancer, but he had gone downstairs anyway after getting most of the chalk dust off of his suit. Kayden went with him, still clad in her emerald dress, but wearing a pair of sneakers; Lira Fallon had come up to their suite to heal her ankle, but Kayden hadn't wanted to risk reinjuring it in Lexi's too-small high heels.

They only danced for a few minutes—apparently Kayden didn't fancy dancing either—though they stayed downstairs for over an hour, laughing over chocolate covered strawberries and cake pops set out on a dessert table. They eventually returned upstairs, too exhausted and sore to continue socializing. They had then spent part of the night watching a movie and kissing in Blaze's twin-sized bed.

Blaze closed his eyes for a second, remembering the way Kayden had looked up at him as they had lied in bed, before they had separated to go to sleep. Her eyes were green and slightly defiant, as per usual, and yet there was a spark in their depths. He liked that spark; he didn't ever want to see it fade away.

Blaze glanced over at Kayden's bed, expecting to see her thin form molding the white sheets, but her bed was empty. He instinctively looked at his wrist before remembering that the mark was no longer there. His skin was smooth and pale, without even the trace of a scar. It was odd that he could no longer sense her presence; despite everything, the mark had almost been something of a comfort.

He got out of bed and slipped on a t-shirt; he figured boxers and a white shirt were acceptable for breakfast. But when he reached the kitchen, it was deserted as well. There were a few empty plates on the counter, but no sign of anyone. He checked all the other rooms, including the bathroom, but the entire suite was empty.

He went back to the kitchen, scouting for something to eat, when he noticed a small handwritten card on the counter:

Karen Lee, Kayden Lee, and Lexi Carter,

Please meet us in Room 152 at 11:30am to discuss an important matter of potestas security.

Please be punctual.

~The Congregation

The note was short and yet Blaze's body felt cold upon reading it. No. He immediately grabbed the card off the counter and ran out of the suite. He didn't change clothes; he didn't grab a room key. He just darted out into the hall, took the stairs two at a time, and rushed toward Room 152.

He had heard rumors of summons like these, sessions where people who knew too much had their memories erased. It was the only way that the Congregation could ensure that no one would expose magic. And with the Bonding Oath negated, they now had clear access to Kayden's mind.

Blaze wanted to kick himself for not thinking about this sooner.

When Blaze burst into Room 152, he shouted "Stop!" at the top of his lungs.

The room had an assortment of people in it, sitting at a long table, but Blaze's eyes were locked on Kayden. She stared at him, but her eyes blank with confusion. A rune circle glowed on the wall behind her.

Blaze felt his skin clam up, and he looked away from Kayden until his eyes fell on the Congregation. "I'm too late, aren't I?" he said. His throat felt tight, and his stomach sat like lead. "They don't know who I am anymore."