Chapter 4: Flourish and Blotts

Harry walked down the street, looking at the sign on the stores as he passed. He was looking for one shop in particular, a bookstore. He was in desperate need of some background knowledge on the wizarding world, so he wanted to check up on some information. Harry finally stopped at Flourish and Blotts. It was quite a small shop, and books were piled onto desks and some were lying on the floor. 

You'd think that wizards would have expansion and cleaning spells. Harry though to himself. Have they not invented them yet? He shook himself and straightened up. When opening the door, the bell ringing to alert the shopkeepers that a customer had arrived. An young woman stood up behind the desk, balancing a stack of newspapers on her head. 

"Welcome to Flourish and Blotts." She sounded like she had rehearsed the same sentence over and over. "Pick out whatever you need and come over here to pay." She looked over him and wrinkled her nose before walking away. "If you can, anyway." Harry frowned at her back, but refrained from following her. He was in her shop, anyway, buying her books. He let out a breath, calming himself, before going to the "1st Year's Section," which was full of books for "muggleborns." What "muggleborn" meant he didn't know, but he did know that "muggle" was a term for non-magical people.

He quickly picked up "The Muggleborn's Guide to the Magical World," "The Standard Book of Spells 1," and "A Simplified History of Magic."

From the "Law" section, he picked out "The Official Magical Law Book," and"Rules at the Ministry." 

In addition to these, he also chose "An Overview of Magic," "Transfiguration for Dummies," "Hogwarts: A History," and "Potions and Herbology." He stacked up all his books, grabbing a few other things on his way to the register. The worker from before raised an eyebrow.

"You know, all of these are going to cost more than your entire house is probably worth-and this is a assuming you even have one." She flipped her her over her shoulder. Since she was so up close, Harry could now see how much makeup she had on. Her painted on eye brows curled around her eye and her foundation was flaking off. Harry smiled politely, dropping a bag of galleons on the table. 

"Don't worry about me miss. You really should be worrying about your eyebrows. I can see them curling all around to your brain." Harry gasped dramaticly. "And wait-this is assuming you even have one." He picked up his purchases and walked out of the shop. Is it possible to sue them for slander? Does an insult that no hears but yourself and the person speaking to you count? Harry shook the thoughts out of his mind, focusing instead on what he had bought. A DNA lock diary, a self updating recipe book, and a candy bar. He bit into it savoring the sweet taste. It was like biting into a chocolate covered ice-cream sandwich. What a satisfying day.

Sorry about the short chapter! I just didn't have the energy to write any more. -Malolee