chapter twelve

I spent the majority of my Sunday lounging around the house.

I was going to go for a run, but decided Netflix would be a better use of my time.

Soon enough it was Monday again. My chemistry teacher had just let us out of class after holding us captive for an extra 15 minutes and I was finally making my way to the cafeteria.

Since I was late, all of my friends were already seated at our usual table. I grabbed a tray of food and plopped down next to Daisy.

"Vienna, Vienna, guess what!" she exclaimed as I sat down.

"What?" I asked.

"Hannah's mom said she could take some friends to her beach house!" she said excitedly.

My mood instantly lifted. I hadn't been to Hannah's beach house since sophomore year and I definitely missed it. It was huge and right on the beach. I've only been twice, but both times were so much fun.

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed. "When can we go?" I asked Hannah, who was seated on the other side of Daisy.

"Well we have spring break coming up soon, so I was thinking that would be the perfect time to go!" Hannah responded enthusiastically.

"Is it a girls' trip or is everyone coming?" I wondered aloud.

"I invited everyone at the table," Hannah responded.

I bit my lip and nodded, examining the table to see who was there.

My eyes traveled across the table, but widened in surprise when they were met with a striking pair of green eyes.

Nathan was sat on the other end of the table, already staring at me. He quickly looked away so I assumed he was staring at something on my face.

I checked my reflection in my phone and winced at the bags under my eyes. Leave it to him to notice how gross I look today.

I shoveled the plate of tater tots in front of me into my mouth at superhuman speed. What can I say? I'm a growing girl.

Well technically last year my doctor did tell me i was done growing at my height of 5'6", but that's besides the point.

"Hey, slow down there or you'll choke," Lucas teased from in front of me. He was seated right across the table for me and had watched me practically attack my lunch.

I smiled sheepishly and took a sip from my water bottle, my eyes trained on the full plate of tater tots sitting in front of him.

Lucas seems to notice this and pushes the plate in front of me with a laugh.

I smiled widely at him and popped one in my mouth, eating at a much more acceptable pace this time.

"I can't wait, I'm going to get so tan and- OOO! We can pick up some hot guys!" Daisy wiggles her eyebrows excitedly at me and Hannah.

Logan quirks a brow at Daisy and throws his arm over Hannah's shoulders, giving her an amused look as to say 'Oh really?'

Daisy giggles at this and winks at me, "Well Vienna and I can."

I roll my eyes at her as someone on the other end of the table lets out a snort.

I turn to look at the culprit with narrowed eyes. "What?" I snap.

"Sorry, I was just imagining you trying to pick up a guy," Nathan says mockingly.

I give him a look of anger, "What? You don't think I could do it?" 

"Nope."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I ask him accusingly, making his stupid face grow even more smug.