Chapter 7 - The Poppy

"I've been waiting for you, Dahlia." That voice. It couldn't be.
   "Luke? I must be dead." I said as I sat up in a field of poppies. "Poppies. . . eternal sleep. I am dead."
   "Not dead, you're close but you're not dead. Poppies have another meaning and you know that. Imagination." Luke said with a soft smile as he sat next to me. "It's not your time yet. I'll be waiting right here until you come back. You can't stay this time," he said as he put his hand on my shoulder.
   I looked down ashamed and asked in almost a whisper, "Are you disappointed in me? Am I a monster?"
   Luke put his calloused hand under my chin and lifted my head so I was looking at him, "I could never be ashamed of my betrothed. You just got lost along the way. I'm sorry I wasn't there to help guide you out of that darkness."
   Tears sprang up and my voice turned wobbly, "Please stay. I can't handle losing you again."
   "I'll be waiting for you right here when you come back. I promise you. I love you, Dahlia..." The world around me grew fuzzy and the voice changed.
   "Dahlia" that wasn't Luke's voice.

   "Dahlia, are you ok?" this man's voice was full of worry and shaking my shoulder lightly. Gabriel.
   I sucked in a breath and sprang up causing me to wince. I brushed the tear from my face as I quickly took in my surroundings. I was on a couch in a living room. I had a blanket and pillow that Gabriel must of given me, "Where am I?"
   "It's ok. You're ok. You're at my house. I went for a morning walk by the river and saw a body so I jumped in. You still had a pulse but you lost quite a bit of blood. I cleaned your wounds and had to cauterize the one on your hip so you didn't bleed out." He looked at my arms, "Dahlia, what happened?"
   "I stepped on a poachers trap and fell into the river," I said flatly as I stared at the ground.
   "Why were you in the woods at that time of day? Were you running from someone? Maybe the person that did this to you?" He said gesturing to my arms. "I saw the wound on your side too. Your wounds aren't just scrapes Dahlia. Those are wounds from abuse. Why else would you hide them?" I didn't respond and continued staring at the ground. "Talk to me Dahlia. I know I messed up yesterday and got worked up over nothing and I'm sorry about that but don't push me away." his voice was stern. I could feel his eyes on me as he waited for a response.
   "How long have I been sleeping?" my voice was weak and sounded so small.
   "A day," agitation coating his voice. "What is going on with you? I feel like I don't even know you."
   "That's because you don't," I snapped staring at him coldly.
   After a long paused he said, "I'm going to your place and I'll grab you some new clothes." He got up suddenly and left.
   My mind kept drifting back to Luke. I just need to do one thing and I'll be reunited with you. It might be a little bit since I need to nurse my hip but I will work hard so I can be with you again.