i don't know nothing 'bout love //

A few weeks went by and Jc and I were back to normal. And by normal I mean me longing relentlessly for him and hiding it poorly. I couldn’t get the almost-kiss out of my mind. I kept thinking of all the possible ways it could have gone in an alternate universe and then I’d hate myself for thinking about it so much.

It was later in the day and I sat in my bedroom, scrolling through twitter mindlessly, when the door creaked open. Jc peaked his head in and I looked up from my phone, “Oh hey.” He walked in and plopped down beside me, glancing over my shoulder at my phone. I averted it from his gaze, though it was nothing to hide.

“Looking at booty pics or something?” He said cheekily and I rolled my eyes. He scooted in a bit closer until our shoulders were touching. We sat like that for a while as we both read the tweets on my feed in our heads, until Jc looked up at me, “Want to go get something to eat?”

I shrugged, “yeah sure, where?”

“It’ll be a surprise!” He said, throwing a pillow at me. I looked at him, confused and intrigued, as he ran out of my room, glancing back to make sure I was following. I laughed. He had me hooked.

I followed him to his car and we drove under a blanket of stars against a darkened sky. The music from the radio was soft and the murmur of city life was muffled through my closed window. I watched as florescent signs passed in blurs and I looked over at Jc, “Where are we going??”

He looked over and raised an eyebrow, “I said it’s a surprise.”

“Okay yeah, but to you that could mean anything,” I retorted mockingly. “Like McDonalds.”

He gasped, “I have a bit more class than McDonalds!”

“Subway?”

He sat silent for a moment, “Alright… you got me there.”

We both let out uplifting laughs and I shook my head. “Is that were you really were taking me?”

“What?! You love Subway!” He said, a slight whine in his voice. I shrugged and we continued to drive. Jc pulled up into the parking lot of a Subway and turned off the car. “We’re here,” he sung, looking over at me. I gave him a smile and we got out, making our way inside the fast food restaurant.

After ordering, we sat down at a booth across from each other, and I wondered if to an unknowing bystander if this would have looked like a date. In the back of my mind I wondered if it actually was one.

“I knew you’d order that,” Jc said through a mouthful of sub as I bite into my own. I raised an eyebrow, chewing. “Yeah, I did,” he laughed with chubby cheeks. “You always get that. I’ve memorized it.”

“Yeah, well you look like a hamster,” I chuckled as he swallowed the food in his mouth with one giant gulp. “Don’t talk with your mouth open.”

Pulling out my phone, I must have accidentally opened the camera, because on the screen was my face from a not so flattering angle. “Ugh,” I sighed out, closing the camera quickly.

“What?” Jc looked up from his own phone.

“I’m so ugly,” I sighed, mentally imaging all of my acne and split ends and bush eyebrows. I looked at Jc and saw none of that. To me, he was beautiful.

“I think you’re cute,” he shrugged, going back to his phone. My heart skipped a beat and I bit back a smile. How he could say that so nonchalantly puzzled me, and I glanced up at him. He chewed his food silently, scrolling through his phone and occasionally taking sips of soda. Under the florescent white lights above, anyone would have looked slightly too pale or washed out. They would have reminded me of a patient in hospital under its own bright, burning lights. But he was effortlessly adorable and handsome.