T E N

The group of mutants looked at the man in a childlike sense of awe, especially Peter who was for once, speechless.

They knew the man would come but actually seeing him was something else.

John snaps out of his stupor and goes to the man and shakes his hand.
“Hey I’m John, I’m one of Lorna’s friends.” He says and Tony nods. John could see the panic behind the genius’s brown eyes and he drops the small talk.

“Lorna is okay – and she will hopefully wake up. Our resident mind reader told us her mind was awake.”

John says and Tony pulls a chair from the side of the room to sit next to Lorna in silence. Holding her slender, pale hand in his. Something filled the man's bright brown eyes, like a storm rolling over them, hardening them. He looked worn out and scared.

John didn’t think Ironman – the man who put a nuke through a black hole and had a country fall on top of him even had that emotion.

But who he was looking at now wasn’t Ironman. It was Tony Stark. A human. A smart human but a human regardless. No powers except his own brain. He was a man, clinging on to the hand of someone he has grown to love as his own daughter. She might be the closest thing he even gets to having a daughter.

Tony Stark was afraid of losing her. John gets the attention of the rest of his friends, jerking his head in the direction of the door, to which they all nodded and left silently. John comes and sits on the edge of Lorna’s bed, and puts a gentle comforting on the stressed man's shoulder.

“I’ll leave you to talk to Lorna, I'll send the Professor in, in a bit. I’ll let you be alone for a bit though, okay?” John says and Tony gives him the softest smile and nod in thanks.

John leaves the room, casting one last look to Tony, seeing him push some of Lorna’s green hair out of her face and behind her ear. John hopes she wakes up soon, not just for their sake, but for Tony’s.

¤ ¤ ◇ ¤ ¤

Tony didn’t like this – didn't like Lorna looking this small in the hospital bed. Her skin so much paler than what it normally is, her bright green hair abnormally dull.

Tony wanted to be brave but how could he? He just wanted Lorna to be awake. Awake and okay.

“He-Hey Kiddo.” Tony’s voice breaks. He shakes his head and wills himself to be strong.

“Hey Kiddo, it’s me. Tony. Please wake up Lorn. “I’ve missed you while you’ve been in Atlanta. You need to come visit – even Rhodey is missing you. You made quite the impression on my little Honey Bear.” Tony jokes.

He was about to start talking again when there was a knock at the door, looking over in surprise he sees a bald man sitting in a wheelchair.

“Hello, Mr. Stark.” The man says and wheels over towards the sitting man. “I’m Professor Xavier, I run the school here. How are you?” The professor asks and Tony turns his attention to him. “I’m doing as well as I can. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the headmaster of a school doing in a hospital?” Tony asks and Professor Xavier chuckles.

“I do understand your confusion. I run the mutant school. I am a mutant. I have telepathic abilities as well as some others.” He continues and Tony nods, his mind focusing on the telepathy aspect.

“Wait – so you can talk to Lorna? In her own head? That’s how John knows her minds awake.” Tony says and the professor nods.
“I’m hoping with you here as I contact her, she might wake up.” Charles explains.

Tony thinks for a moment. “Wouldn’t her sister be best at luring her out of her sleep?” Tony asks and the Professor smiled at the man.