Growing Up

Sofia had been a princess for a few years, and while it was the last thing she'd expected, it was the best thing that ever happened to her. So much had happened since the first time she'd worn a tiara: trying out for flying derby, riding a flying carpet, hosting the Royal Prep tea party, meeting a mermaid, seeing the royals of Hakalo, going into an enchanted painting, taking down students from Hexley Hall—her royal life was overflowing with excitement even if there were some not-so-good things. But she never thought about how life would've turned out had she never been a princess in the first place.

It was close to Sofia's 13th birthday, and that meant she'd be a teenager soon. She and her friends and stepsiblings looked older than they did when she first came to the castle. Sofia now wore a dark purple headband, and her dress was a little similar to Princess Isabel's—it was just mid-calf-length with a pink underskirt, and the sleeves were more off-shoulder...plus, the bodice was somewhat similar to the first princess dress she'd ever worn. Her hair was in the same style as Isa's, although she still had the layers.

 Her hair was in the same style as Isa's, although she still had the layers

Amber now looked more like a teen version of her birth mother, Queen Lorelei—she had her blonde hair in seaweed rag curls (just like mermaid princess Ariel's sister Alana) and wore a different emerald tiara, and her new default down looked a littl...

Amber now looked more like a teen version of her birth mother, Queen Lorelei—she had her blonde hair in seaweed rag curls (just like mermaid princess Ariel's sister Alana) and wore a different emerald tiara, and her new default down looked a little like a combination of her first and second ones.

James was looking more mature than before, and he had a more sophisticated version of his previous suit. Not only did the siblings look older, but they sounded somewhat older, too.

Sofia couldn't believe this was happening. It seemed like only yesterday when she was just a little girl, becoming a princess. Now she's almost a teenager. Her 13th birthday party was being planned out, and the servants were getting the palace ready. Right now, she was with her stepsiblings and her best friend—and boyfriend—Prince Hugo. Hugo now wore a more sophisticated version of his suit, and while his voice was deeper, it wasn't nearly as deep as his older brother, Axel.

"I can't believe it's happening," Sofia smiled, looking at a portrait of herself from her royal debut ball. "It seems like only yesterday when I was just a little girl, not sure if I was even fit to be a princess—and now here I am, about to be a teenager."

"So much is changing, that's for sure," James remarked.

"So much has changed since you came into our lives Sofia," Amber said.

"Oh, not that much has changed," Sofia shrugged.

"Don't be so modest, Sofie," Hugo chuckled. "You've changed so many lives since you became a princess."

"He's right," James agreed.

"Okay, name one thing I've changed when I became a princess," Sofia giggled.

"Well, had it not been for you, I'd still be the spoiled brat I was before," Amber pointed out.

Sofia realized that she was the one who got Amber to be a better person. "Okay, name two things I've changed," she said.

"You helped Vivian step out of her shell," Hugo said.

"And thanks to you, now we know that Amber is the real heir to the throne," James said.

Sofia was a little thrown off by that last one. "Why me?" she asked. "Grand Mum was the one who pointed it out—what did I have to do with that?"

"Grand Mum brought it up on Aunt Tilly's wedding day, and you're the one who brought her and Uncle Bartleby together in the first place," Amber replied.

"Plus, you helped me learn that teamwork is what makes us all champions, and you talked me into taking up Enchanted Ice-Dancing," Hugo recalled. "What about Princess Elena? You're the one who got her out of the Amulet, and that's what put an end to Shuriki's reign."

"And let's not forget Cedric—you were the only one in the family who greatly respected him, and he had to save your life in front of Dad to get his respect," James said.

"Face it, Sofie," Hugo said. "We all owe you our lives because you always get everyone to live their dreams. You're the glue that holds us together—don't try to deny it."

Amber and James agreed with Hugo. Sofia was rather touched by what her boyfriend said, but she wasn't so sure. She wondered if everyone's lives would've been any different had she never been a princess, much less jumped in to help them get what they wanted.

"Well, why don't we play a little game?" James suggested. "Maybe checkers or chess?"

"How about a card game?" Amber suggested, picking up a deck of cards.

"Sure," James and Hugo chorused.

The quartet played a card game, but Sofia could barely concentrate on the game. All she could think about was how everyone's lives would've turned out had she never became a princess. Her life would've turned out different, that's for sure—her mother was a shoemaker before they were royalty.

That evening, Hugo went home, and Sofia's family got together for dinner. The whole family was talking about how excited they were that Sofia was becoming a teenager.

"Isn't this just delightful?" Miranda gushed. "My baby is going to be a teenager tomorrow."

"It seems like only yesterday when she was just a cute little girl, and now she's becoming a young woman," Roland smiled.

Sofia smiled for her parents, not wanting to let them know what was on her mind. Later, it was time for bed. Sofia now wore an older version of the baby blue nightgown she wore. But she couldn't sleep—all she could think about was how everyone's lives would've turned out.

"How would everyone's lives be if I never came in their time of need?" Sofia asked herself.

Suddenly, Sofia heard what sound like Cedric's voice ring out, "Maybe you're better off not knowing."

"Mr. Cedric?" Sofia gulped. But she turned to find a miniature version of Cedric, and he looked more like a ghost. "Mr. Cedric? Is that you?"

"Indeed," Cedric replied. "I couldn't help but notice that something was bothering you, and on the night before your birthday. So, you want to know if everything would be the same without you?"

"Actually, yes," Sofia said. "I mean, would Hugo still be a derby champion and an ice-dancer? Would Vivian still step out of her shell?"

"Well, there's only one way to find out," Cedric smiled. With a wave of his wand, he made some sparkles fly around Sofia, making her fall asleep. "It's time to see an alternate life." He waved his wand, and there was big flash of light.