Chapter 3

Leila has a new boyfriend, Mitchell. I'm so happy for her, and especially happy for Mitchell. But I'm sad for myself. Lots of boys have asked me out before, but I've never said yes. So no, I have never had a boyfriend. I just don't like boys like that. But now, I don't even know.

•••

Leila and I were walking to school today, and we noticed across the street there was a group of guys. Once we could get a better look, we realized that it was Daniel and his friends. They were major jocks, and they were really hot. I had had a little crush on Daniel in eighth grade, but that died down quickly when he got a girlfriend. As far as I knew, him and Adriana were still dating. When Leila stopped talking and noticed me looking at him, she said, "You wanna cross the street?" Of course I did! In these last few weeks I've been pretty much boy crazy. So, we walked over towards them. Daniel turned around and noticed us, and he literally froze. All his friends started laughing and nudging him. I was wondering what was going on, but Leila already pretty much knew. I could tell by the look on her face. She had that little one-sided grin and her eyes were real wide, just looking at me, and I knew she knew what was about to happen. I think I did too. Daniel strutted over to us.

"Hey," I stammered.
"Um, listen, I knew you liked me a little while back, and um, I was um, wondering if you wanted to um, go out with me?" He finally managed to spit out.
What?! I thought he had a girlfriend! Plus, in eighth grade, he never made any notion to liking me at all.
"What about Adriana?" I question.
"I'll break up with her for you," he replied. For me?! Oh my God, I think the universe is finally on my side.
"Um, sure!" He looked back at his friends like I had just given him his weight in gold or something. They snickered, but I didn't care what they thought. I looked at Leila, and she still had that little mischievous smile on her face. She hadn't said a word this whole time, so after this she would most likely blabber on and on forever. I just knew her that well.

Leila and I walked back to our house giving looks to each other all the way. Once we got inside and closed the door, we both screamed.
"Shut up!" my brother yelled.
We stopped, but on our way to my room, we were giggling up a storm. Jake comes over, and I tell him the good news. He doesn't seem so excited for me. It's probably nothing.

When he goes home, Leila says something to me.
"Oh. My. God. Did you see the look on Jake's face? I think he likes you!"
"Wow, you really think so? Cause this is like, the worst time for it."
"Yeah I really think he does," Leila says.

We both talk until late at night. I feel amazing. I have a really great date, plus my best friend may like me. How did this happen???