C2: Cold betrayal

The clock hits two, in the morning, and that just happens to be the exact moment he finishes last application form.

Lilith was right, it wasn't as easy as he thought it was.

He stands up, stretching his arms over his head as he yawns from the fatigue roaming his mind.

She didn't come to say anything since he left the office, hopefully she was probably still filing the applications. If she still was, he was planing to finish them off for her through her desktop, just so he doesn't come back and forth.

Not to beat around the bush... He just wants to give her a ride.

He bites onto his lower lip and walks towards the door with the stack of papers in his hand, making his way into the elevator as he feels the intense coldness fill his entire body.

It is deadly cold tonight.

I'll have to buy her something warm to drink. He thinks to himself as he shoves his hands into his pockets. The doors opens a few seconds later and he steps out, only to pause as he notices the darkness of the floor.

She left.

Her office door was closed and the glass walls were coloured grey to hide what was inside.

She just left?

Shaking his head on denial, he walked into the floor and towards her office door. Despite clearly knowing it was completely dark even inside the office, he just didn't want to admit she would be this cold.

He reached out his hand and softly knocked onto the door, but got not answer even after a few more attempts. He reached down for the handle but even with a twist, the door clearly announced it was locked.

He reached his hand into his pocket and fished out his phone, dialing her number just in case she was still inside and had fallen asleep. Recalling that he could hear her phone vibrate when she got a message from someone earlier, he could most likely hear it again.

The call went on and on as the wallpaper on his screen displayed a photo of her laughing with a few colleagues which she clearly did not to send him.

"Hello?" She answered, clear enough to him that the voice was not speaking through the glass door he is standing from.

She was clearly not here.

"Uh... This is Hades." He cleared his throat, having being the first time he called her before, since he had no other reason to in the past as she avoided him at all costs when she found out he worked here. "Where are you?"

"I'm home." She said smoothly, getting him to sigh out as he felt his insides turn from the thought that dawns onto him that he has been betrayed.

"You didn't wait?" He asked as he turned and walked towards the elevator. "I would have appreciated it if you told me you were leaving." He said with a painful twist pinching his lungs and heart.

"Why?" She asked, getting him to clench his fists tightly, resisting to hiss out at her as his teeth grit tightly, almost breaking. "I was really tired so I had to come back and get some sleep. Thanks for helping me out by the way. Anyway, it's really late and you have to get some sleep too. Bye." She cut the call on him.

He slowly shoved his phone into his pocket as he stepped into the elevator, planning heading back to his floor since he had to leave the files there.

He tapped against the button and dropped his gaze to the ground as his eyes blur out, hardly focusing on anything in particular, hardly believing what he had just gone through the worst case of 'i clearly don't want to involve myself with you'.

She left without telling him.

Barely leaving a message or anything behind.

He would have loved if she remained in the elevator and yelled out to him in the corridor that she was leaving, that would have been a little less traumatizing, emotionally, than simply walking out of the building and not caring about her helper.

The doors opened and he made a bee line into his office, leaving his papers on the desk and flicking the light switch off before locking his door and heading back into the elevator.

At that point he wanted to feel agitated and angry at her.

He wanted to hate her for being such a cold person and yet found himself gazing down at yet another photo of Lilith dozing during a staff meeting.

On his lock screen. Gosh.

At this point he might as well call himself a stalker.

It wasn't an official meeting as such. It was just a meeting the others made after working hours to welcome a new employee. So she was just tired by then but still attended the meeting anyway and he -just so happened- to be sitting across from her and noticed her swaying head, so he took the picture.

Just for the sake of it. No questions asked.

The elevator doors opened, snapping him out of his own self-induced trance.

He walked out of the elevator and walked towards the exit doors where the guard stood.

The guard nodded towards him, getting him to nod back as he walked out if the building door and into the welcoming embrace of the icy air.

Ignoring the passion the air is sending him, he rushed to his car and got in in a flash, turning up the heater.

He raised his phone back up to his face and stared at the photo a bit more, knowing he can't really hate her even if he tried.

She hated him and he understood why.

He didn't want her forgiveness the first time he learned she was working with him.

He didn't care as a matter of fact.

He didn't give a darn whether she was furious at him or not.

He just couldn't care less about Lilith or her sister Ariel. As a matter of fact, his stubborn hot-headed behavior hadn't changed and the only reason he was keeping his job was because his uncle was his boss and a very close relative to his parents.

Most loved relative at that.

So his uncle already kept his spot in the company for him.

Besides, aside from all the 'i know you so here is the throne', Hades was already his university's top-notch student.

So it wasn't much of a problem.