[Bonus Chapter] Rule #1: Don't Panic

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

#     #     #

"You aren't seriously considering this?"

Vincent shrugged. "Who isn't seriously considering this?"

Cooper buried his face in his hands. The din of the cafeteria drowned out the white noise in his head—a sort of high-pitched whine that had grown progressively worse as he contemplated his best friend's idiocy. "It's suicide," he said finally, numb.

"You know what else is suicide?" Vincent tossed aside the rest of his burger. "Staying in this godforsaken town."

"Vincent," Cooper begged as his best friend pushed away from the table, his lunch tray in hand. "Two people died last year. Panic is dangerous."

Vincent sauntered to the back of the cafeteria and dumped the contents of his tray, humming softly under his breath. He wasn't taking the conversation seriously. Not by a long shot. "So?"

Cooper slammed his tray down on the dish rack and threw up his hands. "Fine. Fine. If you want to enter a suicidal competition to try and win some cash, go ahead. Go right ahead."

Muttering darkly under his breath, Cooper stormed out of the cafeteria. Vincent trotted after him, his footsteps surprisingly light for someone so large. "Coop," he complained. A heavy hand fell on his shoulder. "Wait. Stop."

Cooper sighed and drew up short. They were somewhere between the sophomore stretch of lockers and the gymnasium. Two girls—juniors who he recognized from advanced cell biology—watched them with open curiosity. The girl on the left flushed as their eyes met. Her friend merely smiled, leaned over to whisper in the other girl's ear, and then they were gone.

The empty hall rang with the sound of their laughter.

Go ahead and laugh. Next year, you'll be the ones with the targets on your back.

"I know you're against it," Vincent began, leaning against the row of nearby lockers. "But—"

"Against it?" Cooper repeated, aghast. He ran a hand through his hair—one, two, three. "I'm against...kicking puppies." And skinning cats. "This? This is so much worse."

And it was so much worse. Panic—a game invented by a group of daredevil seniors, years and years ago—had become a sort of tradition for the graduates of Carp, Texas. Seniors would spend the summer daring one another to perform a series of tasks, like jumping from the town's local waterfall, or stealing the mascot's uniform from the locker room, or ringing the clock tower's bell.

But things were different now. The challenges had gotten a lot harder over the years—and the stakes, higher. It wasn't just about tradition. Not anymore.

Now, it was all about the money. 

Vincent bit his bottom lip, his eyes on his shoes. "Panic is my ticket out of here."