Chapter Twelve

"Oh Michael."

Bell called out to her brother, spotting his head of curls atop the masses that loitered the boardwalk. David's hand was entwined with her own as they drifted through the crowd, the others following behind them. She watched as her brother turned toward the sound of her voice, eyes already on the look out for the other. Twin telepathy and all that nonsense. His eyes landed on her first and then the boys. She watched as his brows raised before he turned his head back around to meet her own gaze, his head tilting to his right. Star stood to his right with a bag of strawberry cotton candy and a small smile on her face. Okay, that's cute. He better be treating her right.

"Well, isn't this just adorab- "

Paul's words were cut off with a sharp intake of breath as a foot solidly landed on his own. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him stand to his full height and glare at her. She raised one brow in response and waited, daring him to say something. A sharp grin overtook her features, "Don't blame him because you're not getting any, Paul."

Marko chuckled and grabbed Paul to pull him along, "Good one, Poison."

A hand pulled on one of her curls, "Play nice, Flower."

She tightened her grip on his hand and continued walking toward Michael and Star, bringing him with her. A smile lit her face at the sight of her twin and his obvious happiness caused by Star, "Big brother! Mom should have named you Moonbeam after all. All cuddled up with a constellation."

Her brother ruffled her hair and laughed at her words. It was good to see him happy, smiling. It had been something that had been few and far in between since the divorce. Adjustment period and all. The move and lack of money in the household did not help at all. But at least the siblings had each other. Always each other.

"Shut up, Belladonna."

Bell let go of David's hand and launched herself toward her brother. His arms immediately opened to catch her. It was practically muscle memory for him to spin her around. He had been doing it since they were kids. Her laughter rang out as he put her down. Her eyes drifted toward Star, who had gone quiet at their approach. Can't have her hiding. Reaching out, she took a small piece out of the bag of cotton candy in Star's hand. With the taste of sugar on her tongue, she asked the girl, "So are you going to let me be the only girl or are we going to take over together?"

The corner of Star's mouth lifted in a half smile as she rasped out, "Can our takeover begin with the carousel? I've been bugging Michael about it for over an hour."

Her answer came in the form of a smile and a looping of Bell's arm through Star's own. She began to pull the other girl in the direction of the brightly lit carousel that laid ahead. Over her shoulder, she called out, "You guys going to let us ride alone?"

"What kind of gentlemen would that make us, Lil' Bit?"

"And here I thought you were an animal, Paul."

"Don't act like you don't like to bite, Poison."

The laughter that was ringing out of Michael drifted off as his head swiveled toward Marko, "Wait. What?"

_______________________________________________________________________________

Dizziness and sugar high were Bell's two best friends at the moment. She clutched at the metal pole as they traveled round and round. An animatronic black stallion was her ride of choice and Star was at her left on a brown version. The boys were leaned upon the railing watching them as they talked amongst themselves in front of the carousel. It was a chance for her and Star to bond and relax. It was nice.