Chapter Sixteen

The ocean air was fresh in her lungs, the taste prominent on her tongue. Her body was warm where it was flush against David's own on the back of his bike as they drifted along the backroads of the boardwalk. They had not said where they were going, only that it was going to be a night to remember. Bell knew what that meant. The little tastes of David would not cut it anymore. It was only a matter of time before her body started to curl in on itself, looking for the nourishment that it actually wanted. She could hear it now, the echoing of music along with the crashing of waves. She could feel as each wave hit the coastline, could feel it as closely as her own heartbeat.

One of David's hands left a handlebar and grabbed one of her own, wrapped tightly around his waist. Bell nestled her head harder into the space between his shoulder blades, seeking the warmth that, she was coming to find, only came from him. Everything else just faded away. Her eyes slipped shut as she let the beating of the current bring her under while the wind ran through her curls. It was only when David ran a hand down her face that her eyes opened once more, the bike now unmoving on the sand, hidden away by the dunes. The heat from a nearby bonfire caressed her skin, the flames from it close enough for her to feel. She could feel them as well. Could hear their heartbeats as intimately as she knew her own. A full body shiver took her and suddenly the heat from the fire was gone and she was once more just herself, sitting before her platinum haired companion who had yet to take his eyes off of her.

"You're hungry."

"Yes."

"You know what you have to do, flower."

"I do."

"If you don't drink, then I will make you drink. You know that, don't you, Belladonna?"

His voice was not a soft whisper as much as a biting command. There was no question. There was only a command of what he wanted and what he would surely get. His words did not anger her because she found that she wanted everything with him. This sense of right that occurred every time she was with him or with the others was no act of chance. Has to be fate.

"Forever, right?"

Burning twin coals of sapphire stared back at her, "Forever."

She went to pull herself closer to him, her fingertips just brushing his skin-

"Lil' Bit, we are hungry."

"We are hungry, aren't we, Paul?"

"I fear I might drift away, Marko."

A resounding smack was heard, followed by two soft exclaims. Thank you, Dwayne.

"Belladonna."

Her head turned back towards David. He extended his ungloved hand out toward her, "Let's go."

"I want the big one."

A whisper on the air, "I can't have my girl starving."

Years later, Marko would claim that thunder struck the moment their hands connected. He was always one with a flair for the dramatic.

* * *

Can't stay at home, can't stay at school

Old folks say, "You poor little fool"

Down the streets I'm the girl next door

I'm the fox you've been waiting for

The Runaways were blasting from a nearby jukebox. The irony of the song was not lost on her and she had to fight the chuckle that wanted to leave her as a result. Fox indeed. Her eyes ran over the flowing crowd of teenagers that had snuck out for a wild night on the beach. Going to wish you had never left the nest. A warm hand ran down her back as his shadow wrapped around her from behind, "Which one, flower?"