Fan Belt

Chapter 1

Fan Belt

"Dammit, Dammit, Dammit! I'm so late. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed the whole thing by now!" I hurried to snatch up all my important personal belongings from my tent before rushing to my car, I had overslept and I'm meant to be meeting my friends in the next city over for a football game "The best one of the year" as one of them called it and while I may not be into sports I still want to be there with them. Once I threw my junk into the back seat I threw myself into the driver's seat and started up my car and pulled off onto the road where I slammed the gas to try and hopefully beat the traffic, after a bit of driving my car began making a strange sound and my wheel became harder to steer so i pulled over and slammed my forehead down on the wheel with a sigh "Dear god please not now..." I exited my vehicle and made my way to the front where I opened the hood to find my fan belt had broke and my engine was overheating "Great, just fucking great!" I slammed down the hood before plopping down on it cupping my hands over my face and groaning loudly.

" My my, what's a pretty thing like you doin usin' nasty language like that?" I quickly looked up from my hands to see a filthy man a little taller than me in a green visor beanie, dirty t-shirt, and brown button-down holding a flattened skunk in his left hand swinging it about as he approached me " Havin' car troubles there lil lady?" he stood abou 6ft away from me now "Oh uhm yeah my fan belt just snapped..." trying to look presentable I straightened my clothes and brushed away my hair sticking to my sweaty face "Well if you'd like, my brother Bo runs a gas station not too far from here, I could drive you up there." I was so relieved that this man showed up when he did and sighed with a smile "Really? Thank you so much sir!" I grabbed my phone from my car and locked the doors before making my way to his truck, I noticed him eyeing my rear as I did but I didn't bother saying anything. My policy is 'look but don't touch' after all.

I exited his truck when he stopped at the edge of the small town called Ambrose and I thanked him once again for the lift " Thank you again sir!" I beamed "Anything for a purdy thing like you." he snickered. I began to walk into the town before me looking around while I made my way down the street, when I arrived I got a weird feeling about it as there was seemingly nobody there. Everything was silent and there were no people on the streets but I shook it off, I was only getting the fan belt and leaving. Once I found the gas station that roadkill collector mentioned I walked up and opened the door "Uh, Hello?..." there was no answer so I closed it back and looked around "Well...it is sunday maybe he's closed" I made my way further down the street and soon enough saw a church and recalling that it was indeed a sunday I figured maybe that's why it seems lifeless out here the residents must be at worship. I jogged up to the steps of the church and hoped I wasn't interrupting anything important as I reluctantly opened the front door, "E-excuse me I-..." I was met with an aud of people and priest who of which stared me down followed by a man dressed in black kneeling at a coffin turning his head to look back at me, I bit my lip and swiftly closed the door and backed away into the column holding up the oning "Fuuuuck...real dick move there me..." I mumbled as I threw my head back against the column, however the door soon opened and out stepped the man in black who looked at me with a sort of irritation before walking down the steps and pulling out a cigarette, I would sigh in disappointment with myself as I rubbed the back of my head "I-I'm real sorry mister I had no idea-" he cut me off mid sentence " You shouldn't of walked in..." he almost growled as he held the cig in his mouth and went to light it while I hung my head a little "I know I'm so sorry...i-it's just my car...the fan belt broke and I-" he removed the cig from his lips and turned back to look at me with a scoff " A fan belt?...you interrupt a funeral for a fuckin fan belt?" he shook his head and lit his cigarette, I couldn't find the right words to say so I kept quiet with my head craned down, after a few puffs he threw his cig to the ground " I'll just go dump this casket in the ground and I'll be right there..." he walked up the stairs past me back into the building leaving me there speechless and riddled with guilt and embarrassment. I started to leave not wanting to cause anymore trouble but almost as soon as he went back in he returned out here "Wait..." he said as he approached me, I turned to face him "Hey look I'm sorry miss... someone very special to me passed I didn't intend to snap at you like that...'' His expression was softer now as he looked down at me, I shook my head " No no it's alright it was my fault I shouldn't have-" he stopped me "Now don't go blaming yourself there darlin' you didn't know, now what's this about a fan belt then?" I brush my hair behind my ear " Well mine broke and I heard you could fix it?" I say as I sheepishly look to his face "You heard correctly, I'll meet you back at the shop in say, 30? How's that sound?" he smiled softly which forced a soft blush on my face "O-of course! In 30 would be fine!" He nodded and headed back inside the church while I turned to head back to the shop but a large building to the left caught my eye "House of wax huh?...wonder what that could be"

TO BE CONTINUED