27 - Fever

A blizzard hit Twelve that next day. Everything was fully covered with thick, heavy snow. I despised snow, just hated it. You couldn't do a thing in snow, nothing at all. There was no hunting, no running, no enjoying the outdoors, just cold faces and chapped skin. And, in this case, sickness.
Rye woke up sweating and chilly, classic flu symptoms. Peeta wasn't feeling good either. He woke up with a stinging throat and a forceful cough. All I could attribute it to was that snowball fight yesterday.

"Katniss, could you get me some water?" Peeta asked hoarsely. I could almost feel his pain when he talked. 
"Oh sure, Peeta." I grabbed a mug and filled it up with warm water. When I was sick, my mother always insisted warm water was the best way to heal a sore throat without medication. That and honey. 
"Here, Peeta." I handed it to him as he sat on the sofa, a cozy blanket pulled up to his chest. He reached out a hand and took the mug, shivering harshly.

I felt at his forehead. He was burning. "Still freezing?"
"Yeah. Gosh, I feel like a popsicle."
"You and Rye are both like this. I wish we had medicine."
"The stores are closed due to the crazy snow out there." 
Another reason why I hated snow. I bit down on my lip. "I'll get you another blanket."

"Shoot." I grumbled at the empty cabinet. Peeta overheard my outburst.
"What's wrong?" He asked. His voice raspier then it had already been.
"There's no more blankets." I replied, walking back to Peeta.
"Oh. . . that's fine."
"No it's not--you're freezing! Here, I can snuggle up with you."
"Hun, I'm sick. You can't get sick, you have to care for the family."
"Peeta, you need to get warm. Plus, I have a strong immune system."
"No, Katniss." He replied, severely shivering. I rolled my eyes, ignoring his words, and snuggling beside him. 

Peeta persisted in telling me I could get sick, but I could've cared less about that.
Within five minutes of cuddling, he began to cough and cough, almost uncontrollably. 
"I better check your temperature now." I pushed myself up from the sofa and walked to the kitchen where the thermometer was. 
I held it out in front of Peeta and slipped it under his tongue. It took only a few seconds until it beeped, indicating that his temperature had been taken. 
"What is it?" 
I blinked twice at it. It was not good. "104.2."
Peeta put a hand on his head, sinking down into the cushion.

"You should eat something." I said, sitting right next to him. If only Mother were with me. She'd know how to do everything. If she were here, Rye and Peeta would be practically healed. 
"Like what?" Peeta coughed. 
"Um. . . like soup."
He faintly chuckled. "I thought you were bad at making soup."
I was bad at making any and all food. "If really try at it, I can be good. Besides it's easier than hunting." Not quite, because I actually like hunting. 
"Well, then I'll take it."
I smiled at him and he gave a smile back. It was time to be a chef.

I grabbed the chicken broth, pouring it in the pot and turning the stove top on.
Once it was hot, I searched the various spices, not knowing the difference between oregano and basil. I just sprinkled in whatever felt right. Sure, I was impulsive when it came to cooking. 
Then I gathered some chopped chicken from a few nights ago, stirring it in.
"How's it going?" Peeta asked hoarsely.
"Good!" I replied. I was actually astonished at how good it was going. 
I poured the steaming soup into a white porcelain bowl and walked over to Peeta. 

"You don't have to lie to me if it's bad. I can take honesty." I held out a spoonful to Peeta, cradling it to his mouth. He slurped it, eyes widening in either surprise or disgust.
"Mhmm. . . that's really nice."
"Really?!" I asked in disbelief. Possibly a little too excited.
"Yeah. I usually don't put oregano in soup, but hey, it tastes pretty good."
"Interesting. So, I'm not all that horrid."
"No, absolutely not. You have potential." Peeta said as he slurped some more. 
I smiled down at him. Suddenly I was reminded of a certain memory. "You know what this reminds me of?"
"What?"
"The cave, when I fed you that soup."
Peeta nodded, taking in a deep breath. "That was such a long time ago, yet I remember that like it was yesterday."
"Time flies." I agreed.