44 - Comforting

"So Rye, how was school?" I asked as all four of us sat around the dinner table eating.
"Good. The science fair is coming up soon. I think I'm going to compete in it." Rye replied, swishing down the remaining water in his glass.
"Sounds like fun."
"Did you do anything fun, Willow?" Peeta asked.
My eyes flickered onto Willow, whose eyes were staring down at her half-eaten meatloaf.
"We watched a film. . ." She replied, eyes still unmoving.
"About what?" I asked.
Her eyes finally diverted away from her dinner plate, though her voice was hesitant. "About you and Dad. You know, the Games. That sort of thing."

I managed to get a quick glance at Peeta. He had that identical look in his eyes. The it-finally-happened look. We both took in a breath at the same time. This would be hard.
"It was real footage, too." Willow added quietly.
"We don't have to talk about it, Will." Peeta said sincerely.
"It was terrible." She added once again, this time a little louder. Luckily Rye knew how to change the subject. "Hey, you're going to join the science fair, right?"
Willow swallowed, then pushed the plate away and nodded. "Yeah. Not sure who I'll pair with though." I have no one to pair with anyway, she thought.

After dinner Peeta and I put the dishes away. Willow went straight to her room, and I couldn't help but worry for her. No one deserved that kind of attention. Which was one of the reasons I declined the thought of having children in the first place.
"Peeta, I don't think Willow is doing too well."
He nodded, mirroring the same concern I was feeling. "We should have a talk with her. I think that would sort out some negative feelings."
I agreed. "I think so, too."

Without further discussion, Peeta and I walked to her door. We could both hear the faint sound of muffled crying.
"Will? Can we come inside?" Peeta knocked softly on her door.
"No--I'm okay." Willow answered curtly. Of course that wasn't good enough for us. We persisted. Finally, we convinced her to open the door.
Willow's eyes were swollen from crying, and her cheeks were red and tear-stained.
"Oh, Will. What's wrong?" I asked, sitting on the corner of her bed.
She took in a hiccupped breath, and then exhaled. "A lot. . . Corin left me, I failed my math test, that video, and to top it off, I'm being bullied."
I furrowed my eyebrows in concern. "Bullied? By who?"

"Just some kids."
"What kids, Willow?" Peeta asked.
"I don't want you to tell the principal about this. Okay? Please promise me that." Willow began to cry again, wiping her tears with her sleeve.
Peeta took in a breath and nodded. "Alright. I promise."
Willow nodded in relief and then resumed on her story, "Everyone has said something about me. Ever since we started to learn about you two, they've just talked down at me--called me things--called you things."
As if raising children couldn't get anymore complicated, it just did. I bit down on the corner of my mouth. Peeta exchanged a look with me. I could tell what he was thinking. I was thinking it too. What were we going to do?

"I just don't want to go to school tomorrow. That's it."
"Well, then you can stay." Peeta sat down on a chair beside her bed. "Alright? We won't force you."
Willow nodded, then burst into another rack of sobs. "I'm sorry I let you down, Dad. I tried so hard to get a passing grade on that stupid math test."
Peeta shook his head, laying a hand on her shoulder. "Honey, I'm not mad about that. You tried, I know you did. It's not the end of the world. Not nearly at all. Don't beat yourself up."
Willow then pulled herself together and wiped away the remaining tears. "Okay."
"Hey, how about you come with me and help out at the bakery? Does that sound fun? I'd love for you to be there."
Peeta instantly put a smile on her sad face. "I'd like that a lot."

But as happy was Willow was seconds ago, she fell back into her weepy state in the snap of a finger.
"As great as that is, it won't help me at school. . . I don't know what will help me."
"We'll take that step by step, Will. You deserve to have a great time at school, and if involving the principal will help, then--"
"No," Willow fiercely pulled away from Peeta's touch, "you can't tell the principal about this. It will only make it worse for me. And I don't know what to do about Corin."

I took Willow's hand in mine and looked her in the watery eyes. "Well, is there absolutely anyone who you can talk to? I'm sure you have another friend, right?"
Willow seemed to register someone in her mind. She nodded. "I guess so, yeah. There's a new boy."
"What's his name?"
The beginning of a smile was brought to the corner of her mouth. "Oliver."