29 - The Trip

It was finally the day that Peeta and I would be embarking on the much-needed vacation train trip. We began to play a competitive game of checkers while we waited for Dane to pick up the children.
"We need teams." Rye insisted as we huddled together.
"I will be with Mommy!" Willow jumped onto my lap. "Rye you can be with Daddy."
"Okay, we'll take the black ones." I scooped all the little checkers into a pile in between Willow and I.
Peeta scooped up all his reds. "You know red always wins."
"Hm? We'll see about that." I smirked. Willow giggled.
"Well," Peeta held out his palms, "ladies first."

Willow went first, setting a black checker onto the red square.
Then Rye went, giggling as Peeta indiscreetly told him where to set it.
"Your turn Mom!"
"Hmm. . ." I thought, taking a square in my hand and placing it down. Peeta followed after me, grinning as he did so. It was obvious he knew what he was doing. In only minutes later, it seemed clear who the winners were.

"Ohh! I win!" Peeta shouted with triumph, high-fiving Rye.
"You mean we win." Rye corrected.
Willow and I gave each other a high-five too. We tried.
"I guess red does win." I said, laughing along with them.
"Let's play another round." Willow suggested excitedly. Right then a loud knock came from the door, signaling that Dane was here to pick up the children.
"When we get back I'll let you two get the red checkers." Peeta smiled at Willow and I. "Come on, guys. Uncle Dane is here."

"Behave Rye." Peeta kissed Rye on the head. Rye pulled back and swatted at his hair. "Don't mess it up, Dad. Mom just combed it out."
Peeta chuckled, "Just behave, okay?"
"Yeah, yeah."
I hugged Willow goodbye, smiling down at her. "We'll see you soon, okay?"
"Yeah, I'll miss you though."
"It won't be too long," I ran my hand through her silky hair, "don't worry."

It wasn't long after they left with Dane, and now it was our time to leave. Peeta locked up the house and we headed out to the train station with suitcases in hand. The paparazzi didn't disappoint to follow us.
Once we walked into the station, on-goers stopped and pointed, snapping pictures. Annoyance burned deep inside me and Peeta could feel it. "Come on," he whispered, "let's get our tickets."

"We will take the. . ." Peeta thought for a second while we stood at the ticket counter, "the suite."
"Peeta," I nudged him, "that's kind of expensive. We can go with something else. I don't mind."
Peeta turned to face me. "Katniss, we'll be gone for a whole week. Might as well be in a suite. Besides it's our second honeymoon."
"You're right but--"
"We'll take it."

I scanned over the train ticket I held in my hand while we waited to board. People eyed us while we stood together. It began to grow on my nerves how they really didn't mind being nosey enough to whisper rumors or gossip about us that they heard on the Capitol News. I bit down on my lip in irritation.
I leaned into Peeta, trying my hardest to distract my mind from the adorning fans that crowded around us.
"I can't thank you enough for buying the suite." I whispered into his shoulder. He looked down at me, cradling me against his body.
"It's really nothing, trust me. But you're welcome, beautiful."

Within twenty minutes, the sleek metallic train rode up, coming to smooth inaudible stop. Its wide silver doors slid open like an elevator and a robotic female voice announced "Welcome, travelers. Please make your way inside in an orderly fashion, thank you."
A polite elderly couple let us walk in first. Inside there were columns and columns full of cushioned leather seats. A soft white light lit the cabin of the first train car. The windows were vast and wide, also allowing the daylight to flow into the car.
"Let's explore." Peeta held onto my hand and gestured to the next car, so we took off walking. 

Inside the second car was primarily a cafe with booths and a small bar hidden in the corner. Gold-plated menus sat on each of the polished mahogany tables. I smiled, picturing Effie yelling "That is mahogany!" 
The servers nodded at us as we walked by, taking in all the wonders of the superb train car.
The third car was all of the rooms, which would be just as pristine as the rest of what we had witnessed. The hallway flooring was glossy and marble. Peeta pulled out his room key, eyes scanning for our suite. "We are suite eight."

He quickly found it and smirked at me. "I wonder what awaits us in here."
"I wouldn't be surprised if there was a golden statue inside."
Peeta laughed, sticking the key inside the slot on the side of the door. "There might be."
A small green light on the slot panel blinked twice, and the door slid open effortlessly.

Peeta and I eagerly walked in, immediately stopping. Our mouths were agape in astonishment. Elegant could only describe so much as just the walls themselves. A breathtaking chandelier hung above us. In front of us was a glass table decorated with chocolates and fruits, designed to make a creative display. Beyond that was a beautifully large king-sized bed. Everything polished and precise.

"Wow. This place is great!" Peeta walked into the living room. An adorable expression of excitement on his face.
"I can't believe it. . ." I really couldn't. Everything was just so, so gorgeous.
"This is a mansion on a railroad!"
I let out a laugh and joined Peeta on the luxurious animal-print couch. "Thank you for this unforgettable trip."
"Anything for you." Peeta quietly replied, leaning in to kiss my lips.