White Lies | one | secrets

White Lies

chapter i. secrets

Growing up with your best friend, Kim Taehyung, has allowed you to notice things about him that no other person may have seen.

Throughout the years that had passed, you had witnessed him evolve from a quirky young boy to a mature young man. You had noticed the changes in him, how he had refined himself from the kid who was slightly shorter than you were in the early years of grade school to the tall man who towered over you as you walked beside him in the last year of high school.

The years had been filled with too many memories and wondrous moments that you shared together, and they had become a part of your life that you treasured the most—from all the mornings where you would walk side by side down the road from home to the bus stop and all the long chats which you would share as you waited for the school bus ride to come. It had always been easy to think back to those moments, of the comfort you felt when you were with him, and how often you would silently marvel at him while he kept his eyes looking up to the sky, admiring the beautiful colours painting the sky above, the clouds, and even the bright sun that fell perfectly on his beautiful face.

It was during one of those moments when you caught the change in him that you had never expected to see, when he began to look away from the beautiful sky above that he had adored so much to admire a certain beauty that came to your lives unexpectedly. What had stolen his attention was the new girl in town, moving in right before the end of senior year in high school. She had somehow shared the same bus route to school, which led her to join you and Taehyung at the bus stop every morning, and she had a certain shine in her which caught Taehyung's eyes since the moment his gaze had fallen on her at the beginning of fall.

You had known that nothing would ever be the same again since. But it wasn't until the day he finally mustered the courage to walk over to her and introduce himself to her after a whole week of silently admiring her from afar when you felt like your world was turning sideways.

You still watched him silently every morning, noticing how they had grown even closer ever since, until you noticed that something deeper than friendship started to bloom between them. You could only stay silent as you watched the look in his eyes changed into something entirely foreign to you whenever he looked at her, and there was really nothing you could do when he began fading away from your life, his presence dissipating bits by bits as he began drifting away, slowly becoming a part of hers and leaving you behind in the shadows.