White Lies | six | last call

White Lies

chapter vi. last call

"Taehyung. I—I didn't think you would answer the call."

Taehyung had no idea what to expect when he accepted Mina's phone call. He barely had a chance to recover from the emotional wreck that he was left with after meeting you and reliving the past that he felt completely detached as he listened to Mina's voice. Not even a stir appeared inside his chest as he listened to her releasing a deep sigh into the call, making it sound as if it had taken a toll for her just to pick up the phone to contact him after going on months without a word.

He had half expected that he would feel something; be it anger or something similar to what he was supposed to be feeling after revealing the dark secret behind her actions and his own fallout. He had expected that he would feel the urge to express his frustration and despair over all the lies that she had fed on him for years which he had just recently unfolded.

Surprisingly, he found no need to do any of it.

In fact, he was shocked to find that he was feeling completely numb and oddly empty inside. It was the kind of feeling a person would get once they experienced pain so deep there would be no more energy left inside to even react.

Silence fell as he said nothing in return, finding her broken voice still stirring nothing inside him, not even when he heard what she said to him next,

"I've missed you."

In the past, those words would be enough to cause a turmoil inside him, to have him reacting. Except that what she may have thought as an attraction, something deeper than the friendship that he had to offer or perhaps something to return whatever it was that she had ever felt for him, what Taehyung had actually felt then had been nothing more than guilt.

For years, Taehyung had been living with this feeling; the guilt, the shame, the belief that he was the one responsible for giving Mina all the false signs and leading her on to make her think that he had felt something more for her when his heart had always belonged to another. For years, he had been haunted by the remorse that he felt for using her many years ago when he had his heart broken and while he was losing hope. When the event that happened in his small studio back then had awakened a deep and strong feeling from Mina, it had only made him feel tainted and soiled for giving himself to someone he had absolutely no feelings to.

Not only that sleeping with Mina then had opened the door for Mina to continue to manipulate him and turn the entire course of his life around and making it from bad to worse, it had also ruined the memory of his first lovemaking as something that was sullied and vile. Though in his mind, he was the villain for allowing himself to cross the line and to use her to heal his injured pride.