13: THE GREAT HEATHEN ARMY

CHAPTER THIRTEEN - 'THE GREAT HEATHEN ARMY'

"The North Men are coming."

Judith looked at her father with fear in her eyes.

"Their ships have been spotted by our scouts."

Ælle looked at her with a boisterous smirk. "How much of an army can the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok really gather, hm? We will be just fine."

The priest spoke up with a look of genuine terror across his complexion. "They're calling them the Great Heathen Army, Lord."

The wind was vicious and it sent harsh spits of freezing sea water slapping onto Asta's skin. Her hair had been intricately braided on top of her head, but the few strands of wavy hair that still rested on her shoulders was being tugged violently around her head by the wind. The furs wrapped around her shoulders were the only source of warmth.

She turned and looked at the warriors in the ship behind her. Most of them were asleep, or staring aimlessly out into the water. Her brothers were asleep but she didn't blame them, the army had been sailing for a long while now and Thor hadn't been kind to them with his weather. As she stared out into the waves, she could see the faint outline of England's shores. She wondered if they knew they were coming yet.
"Are you sure about this?" A voice made Asta jump slightly and Hvitserk appeared beside her.
"What?" She frowned at him, unsure of what he meant.
"I'm not sure if this is a good idea. It's dangerous." He stared towards the coast as he spoke. Asta drew in a sharp breath. She understood what he was talking about, but she didn't understand why it mattered.
"Dangerous? Since when have you cared about me being in danger?"
Hvitserk shook his head slightly. "I just— I am thinking of your mother and father back in Kattegat. If you die in battle, your father will blame me."
Asta let out a small chuckle. "So if I die in battle, you care only for yourself, Hvitserk? Not for me?"
Hvitserk sighed and finally looked at her, a small smirk on his face. "You know that's not what I meant, Asta—"
"I am joking with you, Hvitserk."
"I don't think I could forgive myself if you died on the battlefield." He looked at the ship's floor as he said the words.
"Hvitserk... in Scotland I almost ran into that battle before you stopped me. I would already be dead if it were not for you. I am a shield maiden now. If I die in battle, it is not your fault."
Hvitserk nodded and looked back towards the coast. "We will be landing on the shores soon. Be ready." He looked deep into her eyes as he told her to be ready, before turning his back and moving back towards his brothers.

" He looked deep into her eyes as he told her to be ready, before turning his back and moving back towards his brothers