30: EMISSARIES

Bjorn nodded in agreement to Lagertha's suggestion of emissaries

"I agree." He muttered as he walked his horse forward alongside Halfdan.
They walked into the wide space between the two armies before bringing their horses to a halt. Asta watched as King Harald and Ivar nodded to one another before sending Harald forward with Hvitserk. Hvitserk.

Asta kept her attention on the four emissaries and their horses that now stood in the middle of what could soon be a battlefield. Hvitserk had a mean look on his face as he discussed with Bjorn and Halfdan, but she couldn't make out the words.
"They're going to exchange hostages." Ubbe said as he watched them and worked out the plan. As he spoke, both Halfdan and Hvitserk moved to change position.

"They're sending Hvitserk." Erik sneered from behind Asta and she turned her head to look down at her brother. "The bastards are sending Hvitserk, I'll kill—"
He moved to draw his sword and rush forward but Arvid stuck out an arm, holding him back and stopping him from doing anything stupid.
"No, brother. Don't be foolish." Arvid muttered, hoping Ivar's side hadn't noticed too much of the incident.

Asta couldn't ignore the feeling of relief in her chest as she watched Hvitserk return to their side with Bjorn. But she also couldn't ignore the betrayal and the hurt and the anger and she still resented him for it. Her jaw remained tight and her face composed as his horse walked into their formation. She was the only one he looked at. But they said nothing to one another. Really, she wanted to cry but she kept the cold, hard stare ahead of her as they turned their horses around and made their way back to the war camp. Nobody spoke as they trotted back, especially Hvitserk. He had to remember he was behind enemy lines now.

As they arrived back to the war camp warriors began to disperse, going to drink or sleep or eat. Lagertha, Ubbe and Bjorn took Hvitserk to the small tent that they had been using to discuss tactics and plans. Arvid and Erik followed, but Asta undid her weapons belt and threw it to the dirt, storming off to her own tent. Ubbe shot Hvitserk a look, who sighed as he watched her walk away as he sat down in the tent.
"She'll talk to you, eventually." Ubbe muttered bluntly. "For some reason, she still loves you."
Arvid and Erik shuffled uncomfortably as Hvitserk said nothing.

"It's a pity you jumped ship," Ubbe continued as Hvitserk took a sip from his cup, "no doubt you regret it now."
"No." Hvitserk scoffed, "what is the point in regret?"
Erik stuttered, "what is the point? Did you not see her when you came back? And you don't even regret what you put her through." He sneered and Hvitserk shot him a dirty look.
"Of course I regret leaving her. I love her. But you will never understand why I had to make that choice."
Ubbe rolled his eyes, "No, I will never understand."
"You wouldn't." Hvitserk glared up at him.

Lagertha rose from her stool and walked towards Hvitserk, sitting back down in front of him.
"We want to find a way of avoiding needless slaughter. Please help us, Hvitserk." She said. Hvitserk stared at her uncomfortably. Lagertha got up and flicked her head to everybody else, indicating them to leave Ubbe and Hvitserk alone. She knew that if perhaps Ubbe and Asta could speak to him, they were the best chances at getting him to agree to peace.