36: THE WALLS

holy shit, this book has just hit 20k reads!! thank you so much to everyone who has read some of this book, and to the people that always take the time to leave a comment and vote ❤️
as this book has reached an amazing number but is slowly drawing to a close, i have posted the cast list for an ubbe fanfic ❤️

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX — 'THE WALLS'

The two drinking horns clicked together in cheers and Asta smiled up at her brother

"So, they made you Jarl?" She giggled.
"They did," he breathed slowly, "do not ask me why. They were intrigued, that I had fought many battles with the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok."
"Who wouldn't be?" Asta smiled as she took another sip of ale. The material of the dark tent shuffled, and Hvitserk entered the tent.
"Speaking of those famous sons." Arvid smiled, raising his cup towards Hvitserk.
"You should come and sit by the fire, Olaf is telling stories of Ragnarok." Hvitserk peered at the two siblings. Arvid laughed,
"Perhaps not the best topic of conversation, when tomorrow we may face Ragnarok ourselves."
Asta laughed as she stood up, filling her almost-empty cup and walking towards Hvitserk.
"Come on, then."
But Hvitserk's hand stopped her before she could leave, lightly gripping her shoulder as his eyebrows furrowed.
"Harald Finehair is there." He muttered, keeping his head low towards her, but Arvid still heard.
"What?" Asta questioned, confused at his sudden appearance.
"He was with Bjorn's army. They've been arriving all day, so he's finally shown his face."
Asta said nothing, her brother's face immediately appearing in her mind.
"Please, we need his men." Hvitserk pleaded. It pained him to say it — why should she bite her tongue while the man who killed her brother sat opposite her? But then, Hvitserk could understand, for he had to face Bjorn after he had killed Guthrum. Perhaps, even if it was the way of war, it was not right.
"I understand." She said through gritted teeth, pushing past him and disappearing from the tent. Hvitserk glanced at Arvid, who shook his head.
"Don't fret, brother. You taught her well, and so she is smart when it comes to war. She knows we need him. And she knows our brother feasts in Valhalla."
Arvid patted Hvitserk on the back as he spoke, before the two men began walking towards the campfire.

As she approached the fire, Asta scanned the people that sat around it. Bjorn and Olaf were there, along with Amma, a girl that had appeared with Bjorn's army. King Harald sat beside her, immediately glancing up at Asta but choosing to say nothing as she took a seat. Gunnhild, another shield-maiden that had appeared with Bjorn's army, was beside Asta and she smiled towards her.
"Asta, isn't it? I have heard great tales about you! It is so great to meet such a fierce shield-maiden."
Asta looked slightly shocked. Gunnhild knew who she was? Perhaps she had misheard.
"Uh, you have heard of tales of me? Me?" She frowned.
"Of course," Gunnhild grinned, "trained by a Son of Ragnar Lothbrok, fought with the Great Heathen Army? You have even fought beside Lagertha herself!"
"Perhaps that is the best bit." Asta chuckled. "She is a legendary warrior. I have learnt a lot from her."
Gunnhild smiled softly, raising her drinking cup towards Asta.
"I look forward to fighting alongside you in battle."
"You too." Asta smiled at her.