Nine.

✣ ✣ ✣

"Marisol, are you awake? Can I come in?"

A muffled call from your father from behind the door sends you shooting up out of bed, dragging Harry with you as you rush to shove him into your closet that's practically exploding with clothes. It's an uncomfortable and hard fit, but somehow Harry's managed to wedge himself into a tight corner covered by some of your old winter jackets. Your heart is about to pound out of your chest as you glance over your shoulder before whipping back and holding a finger up to your lips for Harry to remain utterly silent, squeezing the doors shut to hide him even more.

"Yes, daddy?"

You reply innocently, eyes widening as your door flies open from your father's urgency to come and take a look around. Soft curls are being twirled around your index finger as you glance around, shooting him a small smile as you tilt your head in fake confusion.

"Is there a problem? I don't see why you're rushing in here all of a sudden..."

"I could've sworn I heard something earlier. It was a loud banging noise. It's almost like someone fell, but I know you're the only one in here, right?"

A small, nervous sweat begins as your interrogation starts as well, and you're suddenly wishing you would have hidden in the closet with Harry to avoid any confrontation. Your father isn't a horrible man by any means, but you know how well he can read you. Lying isn't one of your specialties, either, but you think you've learned enough to slide through this conversation unscathed thanks to watching Tawny fib daily.

"Why would anyone else be in here, silly? I had a bit of an issue, though. I fell out of bed, can you believe that? Oh, clumsy me."

Wow, aren't you a great liar? The FBI ought to hire you. Be a secret agent, why don't you?

Well, he doesn't seem very convinced with your story. Or maybe he is? You can see the different emotions flipping across your father's face as he tries to analyze your expression and stance, but you're trying your darn hardest to not crack under the pressure. You've been practicing your poker face a lot lately, so hopefully, that will show through in this standoff that's just like the ones that you see on the Wild West television programs.

"No Tawny here, I'd hope. That girl's insane. Can't believe she's one of those, what do you call them now? Beatniks? She was such a darling. It's a shame."

"She's my best friend, thank you. Please don't speak like that about her. But no, she's not here. I told you, all that happened was I fell out of bed!"

The whining and whimpering of your voice is enough to get your father to lose all interest in even trying to bother you, but you can tell he's still doubting you either way.

"You can even search my room, go ahead. I wouldn't lie to you."

Eyelashes batting to add more emphasis to how innocent you're trying to play, you step aside to allow entry to your room. Praying won't be enough for the luck you need right now, but you need your façade to stay solid just until he's out of your room. Harry was buried deep behind layers of your clothes, so you're still confident that he won't be found.

There's not a moment of hesitation before your father is rushing into your room, first deciding to check behind the door then under your bed frame. The thumping from your heart is pounding in your ears as you stand back and allow your room to be practically demolished by your skeptical father. He's now heading over to your closet, hesitating with his decision, before shaking his head and turning away with a chuckle.

"I know you, Marisol. There's no way you could fit anyone in there, anyways. You've got too much rubbish. Sorry, darling. I'll go now."

Thank God.