Chapter 27

If I thought working with 10 children was difficult, then I was in for a real treat today.

"Alright, class!" I announced, my voice booming around the training gym to all 250 students. In preparation for a possible rogue war, I had decided to host self-defence programs for all school-aged children, ranging from 5 to 18. We were running several training sessions across the pack, for each division. Today I was working with the 7-9 year olds, which proved to be a difficult task, as they were super energetic.

"We are going to be working on stations," I continued. "One station will be cardio, one station will be swordsmanship, one station will be boxing, and one will be the obstacle course. Each of you will be divided into your own groups via mindlink, and we will rotate around each station when I say so. Are there any questions?"

Curtis' tiny hand shot up. "Mr. Bennett? Can we use real swords?"

"No, Curtis, you cannot use real swords yet," I reminded him gently. "We'll practice with the foam swords for now. Once you have proven yourself worthy, we can upgrade to actual swords."

"Aw, vamps," Tyler pouted to his friend, crossing his arms. "I wanted to stab people!"

"Are there any other questions?" I repeated myself, only to be met with silence. "Perfect. Now, I will mindlink you to your groups, and we'll get started."

Once the activities started, I was dashing around each station, hoping the children wouldn't kill each other before the actual fight even started. I watched one kid nearly take off his friend's head in boxing, one girl broke her sword, and one poor guy was hanging from one of the hoops on the obstacle course.

"I can't do it!" he wailed, who looked absolutely petrified.

"Tristan, just swing your arm to the next hoop," I told the pup. "See? It's just in front of you."

"But...but...it's so high up!"

"You're about 6 feet above the ground, my friend. Think of a couple of penguins stacked on top of each other."

He sniffed. "I like penguins."

"So do I," I smiled at him. "So let's waddle to the next hoop, okay? Swing your legs to move your body. I know it seems scary, but you can do this."

Tristan finally mustered the courage to swing over to the next part of the obstacle course, and I felt a proud dad.

The next station I overviewed was sword fighting, which went about as well as expected for a group of elementary school children.

"Yaaah!" Curtis bellowed as he charged towards Tyler with his foam sword extended, gladiator style. The two crashed into each other and fell into a heap on the floor, laughing. I shook my head inside.

"Boys," I said sternly, with a slight hint of amusement in my tone. "I hope we're doing the exercises Mr. Duarte has laid out for you."

"We are," they said in unison, looking at me innocently.

"I wasn't aware that jousting was a part of the curriculum. After all, it's not a fighting art, it's for entertainment purposes. Regardless..."

I picked up the sword and ceremonially touched each of their shoulders.

"I dub thee Sir Curtis," I told him, and he beamed at me.

"I dub thee Sir Tyler," I told my other student, who jumped up and down in excitement.

"Now, as Knights of the Bennett Order, you are requested to carry out the super important tasks the Alpha has delivered to you," I said in an authoritative tone. "Become expert swordfighters, the best in the nation, so that you can protect us from the evil rogues that threaten our pack. Can I trust you to do that?

"Absolutely!" they said determinedly, and they immediately began the appropriate drills.

In the meanwhile, Olivia seemed quite preoccupied in the boxing section.

"Alright, Macy, I'll do you next," Olivia said amidst the huddle of children. "But first, get a drink of water before I put on your gloves. We can't forget to stay hydrated."

I watched as she effortlessly commanded the kids around her, as if it were second nature. She was definitely a natural at this, and it almost seemed as if the kids liked her more than me.

"Does everyone see my form?" she asked the children, who copied her every move. "That's how you should be hitting the bag. Keep your hands up, and strike with intent. There you go, Jerome! Good job."

The children eagerly began their exercises under her guidance, with varying forms of success. One kid completely missed the bag and punched the air with so much momentum, he swivelled in a full 360 and went flying into the floor. He tried a few more times, missing each one. As he was starting to get frustrated, Olivia stepped in right before I could.

"Not bad, Omar," Olivia said brightly. "Try to stay grounded, like this, okay? Imagine your feet are rooted to the floor with bubble gum."

He nodded, and taking her advice, he threw another punch, this time a bit more steady on his feet. The punching bag moved a centimetre, and the kid looked as if he'd just won the lottery.

"There we go!" Olivia said encouragingly. "Keep up the great work!"

I walked up to Olivia shortly after.

"Thanks for helping me run this," I murmured to Olivia, who was happily fixing up Karina's tousled hair.

"Oh, it's no biggie!" she smiled. "I love working with children."

"They're adorable, but they can be really extra sometimes."

"No doubting that," she chuckled. "Alright, Karina. I finished your French braid."

"Thanks! Now I can be just like Elsa!"

She scurried off to her own punching bag, hitting it so hard that it detached from where it hung from the ceiling, and flew well across the room. Olivia and I just stared at her, impressed.

"She's the sweetest thing ever, but boy, can she pack a punch," I grinned. "I'm so proud!"

"No thanks to me," Olivia remarked. "That just goes to show what the superior teacher can do. Take notes, Bennett."

I scoffed. "Are you kidding? She has all that upper arm strength because she was taught by an amazing swim instructor. Me. I've had her ever since she was a little pup."

"Whatever floats your boat," she gave me a sly smile, patting my shoulder. "Anyway, how's the rest of the week looking? Any more training sessions coming up soon?"

"Yep. After this session, it's the young adult group. Aged 16 to 18, all high-schoolers. You know what's more hectic than working with kids this age? It's working with teens." I shuddered at the thought.

"But you're a teen, Bennett," she reminded me.

"Well, I'm 17, which is basically 18. And when you're basically 18, you're an adult, not a teen."

"Um..." She shook her head. "I don't think that's how it works, Ben. You'd be eighteen. Eight-teen. You're still a pup."

"You know what, let's just compromise and say I'm legal, okay?"

"Yeah, nightclub security would disagree with that."

"If there's a will, there's a way in," I shrugged. "Anyway, I'll let you continue teaching your class. Keep up the good work!"