Chapter 6

For someone with supernatural senses, trying to navigate my way the pack house at night really was a struggle. I kept bumping into things around me, hitting my shins and arms. I tripped on at least five pairs of shoes, and stepped on more than one beer bottle lying around.

"I really need to invest in some windows," I muttered to myself. "Or light switches I can actually see."

After a very interesting hangout at his place, I decided to head on home and call it a night. At 1 in the morning, when I was ready to jam to my 1 am playlist, I came across a horrific discovery - I had left my phone in his room. My most prized, and one of my most expensive possessions, was currently in the pack house. And I hadn't even noticed.

I totally could've gone to his room tomorrow morning, but the irrational part of my brain figured, Nah, just go right now, in the middle of the night! Another small part of me said, You just want to see him sleep again, don't you?

After some feeling around, I ended up at the room that I was fairly certain was his. I carefully opened the door to his small room. The small window allowed some moonlight to shine through, and I was relieved I could finally see again.

It was impossible not to be mesmerized by the sight in front of me. Frankie was lying on his side, clutching his hot dog toy tightly in his grip as he slept. His usual cold expression had been replaced with a peaceful one, and he looked so gentle and harmless. As creepy as it sounded, I could watch him sleep forever.

Eventually, I had to force myself to peel my eyes away from him. I came here to retrieve one thing, and that was my cellular device.

I began by searching the ground, but to no avail. I tried rummaging through his closet and bookshelf, in case he had ended up placing my phone there.

The only place I hadn't checked was the night table. Creeping over, I slid the drawer open and went through his limited belongings. A watch. A pen. Something that appeared to be a photograph, which caught my attention. I peered closer, and I could faintly make out a group of people standing in the picture. I reached over to pick it up, and-

"What are you doing in here?" Frankie's voice hissed from out of the blue.

"Huh?" I jumped at the sudden noise, dropping everything in my hands, but quickly regained my composure. "Oh, I'm just looking for something."

"You can't just barge in here."

"I can, actually. The pack house my property. You are merely a visitor."

"Whatever," he said tiredly. "Make it quick and get out soon."

"Oh, I was actually planning on hosting the Oscars in this room right now," I told him, causing him to give me the stink eye.

"What are you looking for, anyway?"

"My phone. It has a black case, and it's a fairly new model."

"Oh, that thing that was lying on the floor? I sold it to one of the pack members."

"No, you didn't."

"I did. I asked around, seeing if someone lost it. Someone said they were willing to buy it off me, and they gave me a hundred dollars for it."

"Excuse me?" I snarled.

"It was there, on my floor," he shrugged. "I took the opportunity."

"Who did you sell it to?" I demanded, my voice dripping acid. "Tell me their full name. What they looked like. Their driver's license number. Their SIN. I'm getting it back right now!"

Frankie's eyes widened. "I'm joking, Bennett. It's right here."

Much to my relief, he pulled my phone out of the bottom drawer of the night table and tossed it to me. I inspected it as much as I could, and once I determined there were no screen cracks or viruses, I slipped it into my back pocket.

"So, I see you and your toy are getting really personal over there," I smirked at him.

"Shut up."

"I'm flattered that you really liked my gift that much."

"I don't like it. I just don't want to make you feel bad for wasting your money."

"Aw, I'm glad you care about me so much!"

"I don't."

"You do," I teased. "Don't lie to me."

"Don't lie to yourself, I know you've been f-."

The words through me off guard. I had no idea what he meant exactly, but part of me wondered if he could feel what I had been feeling over the past couple of days.

No duh, Bennett. He's probably feeling something too, if this is what I think it is.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him, but he had suddenly gone all rigid and closed, his eyes completely glassy.

"Frankie?" I repeated myself, trying not to lash out again. "Can you talk to me?"

I tentatively took a seat on the bed, but he turned onto his other side and pulled up the covers. I noticed his knuckles were white from clenching the sheets tightly, and I wondered what was bothering him.

"Frankie," I said in the gentlest voice I could muster. "Please say something, okay? I'm not going to judge you."

As expected, he only stared into the wall and ignored my remark. The Alpha in me was disappointed in his disobedience and wanted to punish him for it, but Chantelle's words came ringing back to me. She was right - Frankie must've had some deep and personal issues going on if he was acting like this. The more I forced him out of his shell, the more he retreated back into his cave of safety.

Staring at him, my thoughts began to swirl around in my head.

He's never looked so beautiful.

He had always been cute in my eyes, but during this vulnerable moment, I was feeling an even stronger emotional tug towards him. Frankie just seemed to 'sparkle', for a lack of a better word. I was suddenly extremely sensitive to his presence - his beauty radiated off of him like the moonlight, and I couldn't help but take notice of the striking young man laying in front of me.

"Well, I'm here if you want to talk. Or, just be quiet, in your case, since you don't really talk much."

He pulled the covers over his head, obscuring his face from me.

"Do you want me to leave?"

No comment.

"Do you want me to stay?"

Also no comment, but something was different. Deep inside me, I could tell that he really wanted me to stay and keep him company, but couldn't quite get the words out.

"I'll stay with you."