Chapter 19

"Now that I'm fully recovered, I need all the updates," I demanded. "What's happened over the past couple of days?"

"Some packs have been reporting accounts of theft, break ins, and sabotage over the past couple of days."

"Nic?" I turned to my brother. "How did your meeting with the private packs go?"

"The ones I spoke to did experience quite a bit of theft," Nic informed me. "I spoke to Alpha Brennan from the Starling Pack in Toronto. He says that nearly a third of their armour has mysteriously vanished, and some of their production technology has been sabotaged, meaning they're struggling to replenish their equipment. This is not a good sign."

"That was very smart thinking on your part, Bennett," my father complimented me, and I felt all floaty inside. "Analyzing the financial demographics of every pack, and conducting thorough investigations on these privatized ones, we've been able to get a tiny, possible lead on the weapon origins."

He pulled out his tablet. "According to the Duponts, they've been trying to create new technology inspired by the ones we've been seeing, and leaving them as bait around certain areas. One of them was recently snagged by a pack up in the Sudbury area, before it was destroyed and its tracking signal was cut off. There's a pack sending its reinforcements up north right now."

"Could they be working from all the way up there?" I asked, stunned.

"We'll find out soon enough," dad promised me. "That's all that must be said for now. I need to do some more research myself, and Bennett, I expect for you to complete your school homework tonight."

"Yeah, dad. Could I ask you about something non-pack related?"

"Go ahead."

"I was wondering about enrolling Frankie into school officially. He's 17, and he's in my grade."

"Why, of course. I can work out the paperwork as soon as possible, Bennett. I was under the impression he was already taking some courses online, however."

"Not any I'm aware of, I'm afraid. He says he was homeschooled, so he probably did a different curriculum from mine."

"Very well. I'll sort out the matter. Any other questions?"

We shook our heads, and he waved his hand. "Then the two of you are dismissed."

As soon as we stepped out of the room, Nic pulled me aside. "I need to talk to you about your mate."

I frowned. "What? Why?"

"There's something...off about him, Ben. I don't trust him. He's not who he says he is."

"Don't be ridiculous," I scoffed. "He's a shy and reserved person. Nothing wrong with that."

"There'd be nothing wrong with that, except for the fact that he's a supposed rogue, and right now we're in the middle of a rogue uprising, and we're in pack lockdown. So let's be real, how well do you actually know this mate of yours? Because it seems as if all he does is hold back and keep secrets from you."

"He has the right to keep his secrets from me. He's his own person."

He crossed his arms. "Oh yeah? What's his full name, Ben? What pack did he originate from? What's his family like? What are the names of his siblings? Those are things that people usually don't keep as a secret, unless they have a good reason to. And usually, that reason is also a bad thing."

"His family's dead, Nic. He doesn't like to talk about them, and he told me they weren't close, so I guess they've got some issues in the past. And I'm not going to push him to do something he doesn't want to."

"You're going to have to. If he has nothing to hide, it shouldn't be a problem for him to tell you, right?"

"No, I will not be making my mate uncomfortable," I snarled.

"You think with your heart, Bennett. While it can be noble, it might also get you killed one day."

"So be it," I said coolly. "I suggest you stop intervening with my personal romantic life, Nic. I can handle myself just fine. Besides, I'm not the one who had sex with my mate behind the hedges. Everyday for the past few days. And in our own garden, for the goddess' sake!"

Nic's ears reddened. "You..?"

"Yes. Next time you plan on making love, I'd check for backyard security, especially considering the fact that we're in the middle of a rogue uprising, and we're in pack lockdown."

"Look," he took a deep breath, trying to maintain his anger. "I just want to look out for you, okay? You're my little brother. I don't want anything bad to happen to you, and I could never forgive myself if you got hurt over something I could've prevented."

Nic lowered his voice. "I don't want you to turn out like...like mom. So please, just keep what I said in mind. Take care of yourself first."

-

"I have to confess, I'm not the greatest cook," Frankie admitted, sliding the plate of food in front of me. "I like trying out new recipes, but it's kind of difficult, figuring out all the techniques."

"This looks pretty good," I remarked, taking a look at the food he prepared for me. It was a fairly simple dish - baked chicken with barbecue sauce, potato wedges, and steamed broccoli, but I appreciated the gesture.

Besides, eating food prepared by your mate was supposed to be a magical experience. They said that even the driest, blandest, and most under-seasoned of meals could taste like soul food when your soulmate was the one who cooked it.

"Are you just saying that to make me feel better?" He stared sadly at the plate. "It didn't turn out at all how I expected. I think I put in the chicken for too long."

"No, absolutely not!" I told him truthfully. "It smells delicious, Hedgehog. I can't wait to try it."

I cut off a piece of chicken and popped it into my mouth. Despite his claims of overcooking, the piece of meat was actually quite juicy and tender.

"So?" Frankie asked hopefully. "Is it okay?"

"Sweetheart, this is truly amazing. And I'm being honest."

He relaxed. "Oh. Good."

"By the way, my dad's working on your school enrollment forms. Hopefully they're done soon so you can start school before March break."

"I appreciate your help. Can you tell him I say thank you, please?"

"No problem. What homeschooling curriculum did you use, by the way?" I asked him, shoving a drumstick into my mouth.

"I never really followed a curriculum. My...tutors did their own thing."

"But you covered all the things you should have covered, right?"

He nodded. "Yes, I'm pretty sure I did."

"Trig? Functions? Algebra?"

"Unfortunately."

"Sounds as if you're on the right track then. When everything's settled, I can't wait for you to finally see my school! It's a real shit show."