The New Nurse VI.

Knowing she wouldn't have much time to eat after the surgery, Celia sent down to the kitchens at eleven-thirty for an early dinner. The food, she had discovered, was rather good, plain but fresh and generously served. Though, as always in a hospital ward, finishing a meal in peace was unlikely. She was halfway through a plate of spiced beef and buttered bread and cucumber slices when Mrs Shaw rang her bell and asked for something to help with the pain. After ascertaining that it was not an unusual pain, Celia discovered that no one had told her where the aspirin was kept and had to go to Matron's office to ask about it. That meant a trip to the dispensary downstairs and a lecture on the protocols thereof. It was all very instructive to Celia, who had never had the charge of a dispensary before, but the length of the lecture meant that Mrs Shaw had to wait fifteen minutes for her aspirin and that Celia did not have time to finish her dinner before readying Mrs Pearson for surgery. While Mrs Pearson was in the lavatory, Celia went to her desk to snatch another bite of spiced beef, only to discover to her annoyance that the housemaid had already taken the tray away. She drank some water to fill her stomach then went to get the brandy and carbolic acid to perform the surgery preparations on Mrs Pearson.

At twelve thirty, Mrs Pearson was sitting up on the operating table in the surgery, smelling of carbolic and brandy, and looking rather nervous. Doctor Fane and Doctor Culpepper had changed into white surgical gowns, and Matron Howard had put an apron over her dress.

"Ye look like butchers like that," Mrs Pearson complained. "An' ah feel like t'pig."

"Now, now," Culpepper said. "You won't feel a thing. You'll take some deep breaths through this cloth then you'll just go to sleep and wake up with everything over. Like a dream."

Mrs Pearson eyed the chloroform mask warily. "There's good dreams an' bad dreams, Doc."

"It is, in fact, a dreamless sleep," Fane said, dousing the mask with chloroform. "Lie back, Mrs Pearson."

"'Old on." Mrs Pearson put a hand over her mouth. "Jus' give us a minute."

"Please lie back, Mrs Pearson."

"Jus' a..." Mrs Pearson opened her mouth wide and let out a meaty belch. "...Sorry. Tea gives us guff."

Fane froze with the chloroform mask in his hands. "You've been drinking tea?" He turned to Celia. "Has she been drinking?"

"I didn't give her anything."

Fane set the chloroform mask carefully back down on the surgical tray. "Mrs Pearson, when did you drink tea?"

"Oh, 'bout 'alf-an-'our ago, Doc. Ah needed summat ta wash down t'beef. It were rare dry."

Fane's long, delicate fingers tensed into open claws. He turned to Celia, who felt the shadow of doom folding over her. "You gave her food and drink?"

"I did not, sir. She must—"

But Fane had turned back to Mrs Pearson. "I am afraid we will have to postpone your surgery."

Mrs Pearson licked her lips. "Oh, if tha say sa, Doc. If it mun be."

"Matron Howard, if you will take the patient back upstairs, I will speak to Nurse Barnes."

Matron Howard gave Celia an unimpressed glance and helped Mrs Pearson from the operating table. Celia braced herself. Fane had spoken without heat, but there was something quite terrifying about the coolness of his tone. Culpepper's round face was grave.

Fane waited until Matron Howard and Mrs Pearson disappeared into the passage. "Well, Miss Barnes?"

"I'm very sorry, sir."