Too

Sometimes love comes in the most unanticipated of ways.

The streets were laden with mid winter snow and her black boots crunched against it as she made her way towards the bakery.

The bakery had been around for a long time and was as old as the town itself.
Each winter, it would look for new bakers, a fact that was more exciting to the girl than the delicious goods it sold.

All summer and through the autumn months she had devoted her time to honing her baking skills. The motivation was strong, to be a part of a prestigious bakery, she wished to make a name for herself in baking even if just for one year.
One year doing the thing that she wanted, before going to do the things which had to be done.

The only love she'd expected to find was the love given to her food.
But life exceed her expectations.

The boy opened the door of the bakery and the bell jingled.
"Hello, Jake." The old lady at the counter smiled at the boy. He was a sweet kid, kind and mischievous.
He smiled back, "Hello Bertha."

He walked around the counter and picked an apron with the bakery logo on it and put it on.
He then proceeded to take his phone out and scroll through it as he leaned on the counter.

The day was slow, as it usually was in the mornings. But the rush hours would begin soon. The downside of a well known bakery.

The bell jingled.

He didn't bother to look up.

The person had some conversation with Bertha.

Footsteps softly made their way in his direction before stopping just a few steps again.

He looked up, smiling to be greeted with an equally, if not more, enthusiastic smile.
"Hello, I'm Emily, I'm here for the  baker position."
Jake nodded, "I'm Jake. Welcome! Follow me."
He said, walking around the counter again and going into the kitchen.
"As you know, I'll have to test your skills." He continued
She nodded, still smiling..
"Your test is to make six lemon muffins."
She nodded again, eyes wide with excitement.

Jake took out all the needed ingredients while telling her where the tools and ingredients were kept.

Then it began.

30 minutes on the clock.

Jake stood next to the door, arms crossed, leaning against the frame, as he observed her every move.

She was smart, she read the labels of the items and didn't use them blindly just because Jake had given them to her.
Which means she avoided a disaster.

She was confident, she didn't turn to Jake even once, not even for confirmation. She didn't hesitate.

Jake was quite satisfied with her skill level when he bit into a fluffy and moist lemon muffin 30 minutes later.
She had won extra points for a perfect sugary, lemony drizzle.

She had passed.

"Congratulations."
A smile broke onto his face, which had been void of any expression until now.
"You're hired."

"Yes!" She smiled, doing a little fist pump in the air.
"Should I start today?"

"I don't mind, we're a little short staffed anyway, since not a lot of new bakers came in." Jake admitted, shrugging.

"Do you think you can keep up with the rush though?"
Jake smirked as he rolled up his sleeves and washed his hands.

Bertha popped her head in at the exact moment.
"It's beginning."