Jail Break

Chapter 11- Jail Break

Monday morning in Gotham High and Sara is spending every second squeezing past high school jocks, preppy cheerleaders, road hoggers, and tripping on over-stuffed backpacks. School hallways were like a jungle for almost five minutes between classes especially before lunch where some people just talk and never move. As she neared the end of the hall she trips over another backpack. With her arms full she had no way of bracing her fall unless she flung everything aside. She'd look like an idiot either way. But right before she prepared to throw her books someone catches her by the waist. "Hey there, better be careful."

The hallway becomes a deadly silent as she looks up at her sudden savior. Aden. The school's idol and model boyfriend. His smile, no matter how small, lights up the hall like Christmas. People began to whisper. Aden lifts Sara to her upright position, but held onto her waist as he asked her "do you mind spending lunch with me?"

"No," Sara replies immediately feeling a little joy burning on her cheeks. Again he smiles and everyone becomes silent, then gasps as soon as Aden grabs Sara by the hand and pulls her away. She could hear the rumors already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bruce spent his morning at the office where he went around greeting people and "leering" at girls. He attends a meeting with the Board of Directors to discuss his company's budget cuts, but sleeps through it. He then goes to a lunch date with Vicky Vale the most famous, and beautiful, news reporter in Gotham. Though her natural curiosity sets Bruce on edge. After lunch he returns to the office to sign a mountain papers all prepared by Lucius Fox, his most trusted adviser after Alfred.

Lucius hands him another folder. "How have you been Mr. Wayne?"

"Never better, Lucius." He sighs. Lucius smiles as he notes the sarcasm. "What's next on my schedule, Lucius?"

"Mr. Wayne, I think you need to get your eyes examined soon if you think I look like Ms. Harper, your secretary." Lucius smiles, "should I get her to put that on your agenda?"

"No thanks." Bruce chuckles as he signs the last document and hands the manila folder back to Lucius.

"Tonight you will be attending the charity ball at the Smith mansion."

"I don't have the time for that."

"It wasn't a question. Mr. Wayne. It is imperative you attend. There are important people there who are crucial to many of the documents/contracts you just signed as well the this company."

"I'm busy, Lucius."

"Yes, yes, I know with your crime fighting alter ego. But Mr. Wayne, to keep the public from finding out who you are you must lay aside being Batman for a night and let Bruce Wayne roam the earth. Or else everyone will wonder 'what does Billionaire Bruce Wayne do during the nights when the rest of us are here', understand?"

"Alright, fine. But only five minutes."

"Until everyone there can give testimony of your appearance, so be sure to make a grand one." Lucius leaves Bruce alone in his office. But Bruce was agitated, almost on the brink of madness. Three murders the night before and no one knew what had happened. A man became a pancake and nothing could be done. The walls had suggested his death was caused by the impact of them coming together. On top of that someone was finding children with certain abilities and setting them loose on the world. He had nothing to connect to Bobby and Sara. Every investigation he had attempted on the case came to a dead end. All he could do was wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aden and Sara sat at one of the patio tables silently eating their lunch. Sara felt awkward sitting across from him when he dragged her here and hadn't said a word to her. Her peanut and butter sandwich lunch was untouched for fear of doing something wrong, assuming she hadn't done it already.