𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲: "I love you"

𝙰𝚕𝚎𝚡𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚊'𝚜 𝙿𝙾𝚅

Beep

Beep

Beep

I slowly open my eyes trying to adjust to the bright lights around me. I look around the room to see I'm in the infirmary. Machines beeping around me and the team looking worried an on edge in the corner.

"Hey guys" I call out, my voice groggy.

"Alex oh my god!" Wanda rushes towards me and takes me into a tight hug. I wince out in pain and she quickly let's go giving me a sad smile.

"What happened?" I ask looking at the team. I look at their faces, tear stains on some and pure and utter dread on others.

"Some guy put this collar on you and then stabbed you. The collar stopped your healing abilities" Sam said holding up the smashed metal collar in his hand. "Bucky actually managed to get it off and your healing started up again but it's pretty slow. We're hoping it will get back up again."

"So that's why I feel like shit" I chuckle a little and sit up a bit before my eyes land on Bucky who stood off in the corner fiddling with his shirt hem. "You saved me?"

"Yeah..." He voice sounded shaken and his eyes were red and puffy.

"Why?" I stared blankly at Bucky. Him? Save me? The only thing I could think of was why.

"What do you mean why?"

"Well... I thought you would have let me die. I thought you hated me"

"Alex I-" Bucky bit his lip before continuing "I don't hate you and I would never just let you die."

I stare back at him even more confused. He doesn't... hate me? My thoughts are cut off when the door of my room opens. In walks the one and only Director Nick Fury. This should be fun.

"Sup Nicky" I say dryly eyeing the man as he walked towards me.

"Nice to see your still a pain in the ass Miss Montgomery"

"Yeah I know right. Hey! Since you're here want to explain why SHIELD wanted a collar that stops regenerating and healing abilities" I had almost forgot the whole reason we went on that mission was to get a weapon from Hydra that SHIELD wanted. "I mean I'm assuming that damn collar is the dangerous weapon, so why did you want it Nicky?" I might have only just escaped death but it isn't hard to put two and two together.

"Montgomery that is none of your business"

"Do you still not trust me Fury? Oh yeah, by the way in case Stark didn't tell you, I know about your little phone call with him. You know the one where you talked about sending me to the raft? The one where you talked about me being some kind of problem you had to get rid of"

"Alex not now"

"Can it Sergeant Canada I want to know if that really is the reason why this douche wanted the collar" I stand up from my hospital bed ignoring the pain which surged through my body. I get right in front of Fury and look him dead in the eye. "Are you scared of me? Afraid one day I'll just snap?"

"Fine Montgomery we did want to have the collar, it was just in case you ever got out of hand"

"You mean in case you couldn't control me and use me as your toy"

"Could you blame me? Your unpreditable! Unstable! A monster!" Fury shouted.

"I'm not a monster! I'm not unstable! I'm fucking fine for god's sake!" I hell at the top of my lungs causing some of the team to flinch. "Why couldn't you just let me die then! If your so afraid I'll just lash out and kill you all then why not kill me first!" the room was silent and I could feel tears spilling from my eyes down my face.

"Sit down Montgomery, that's an order" Fury said menacingly. I almost laughed in his face, was he fucking serious?

"Oh fuck off" I push my way past Fury and walk out of the infirmary and out to the living room. I walk to the bar and pour my self a drink. I could hear someone following after me. "If I turn around and it's you Fury I'm going to throw you out the window into on coming traffic"

"Don't worry it's not F ury" I heard Bucky's voice say as he stepped closer to me. I turn to see him standing in front of me with a sympathetic smile on his face.

"What is it Barnes?" He smiled faded into irritation.

"Why do you have to be like this Alex?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why do you push everyone away and act like a brat?"

"Watch it Barnes..."

"I saved your life today and the team stayed with you the whole time till you woke up and the first thing you do is pick a fight with Fury?"

"He fucking lied to me! He tried to get the stupid collar so he can control me! Do you have any idea what it's like to be controlled and used!" I yell but I soon regret my words. Bucky's face softens and anger turns to sadness. "Bucky I- I didn't mean that I'm sorry"

"Alex just tell me why you can't just except that there are people who love and care about you! We just want to help you! I just want to help you!"

"Bucky I appreciate everything you've all done for me but I just c-can't deal with any of this! I-I just want to....to..." Tears fell from my eyes. "Why didn't you just let me die?"

"Because I love you Alex" 

"You what?" I couldn't believe my ears.

"I fucking love you Alexandria" Bucky grabs my face in his hands and pulls me into a kiss. His lips pressing against mine hungrily. I kiss him back and move my hands into his long hair. What is happening? Did he just say 'I love you'? Do I love him back?  Why am I kissing him back? I pull away to look at him, to look into his eyes.

"B-Bucky I-" I hear footsteps come towards us quickly. I move away from Bucky's grasp and avoid his gaze. What just happened? He loves me? He has to be lying this is just a sick joke. He tried to kill me, he doesn't love me. And I don't love him, I can't love anyone. The team comes into the room quickly. 

"Alexandria are you okay? Fury was out of line and I swear I had nothing to do with that, none of us did" Tony said coming towards me and putting his hands on my shoulders. I try to calm my breathing. 

"It's fine" I shrug his hands off me and quickly wipe my remaining tears. In the corner of my eye I see Bucky looking at me confused and... hurt? "I just need some time" I make my way towards the elevator. 

'Where are you going Alex?" Wanda calls to me worried. 

"I'm going to see Parson, maybe Strange" I step into the elevator. 

"I thought you hated them" Bucky's voice makes me flinch slightly. I turn to look at the team. 

"Yeah well I need help" The elevator doors shut and the worried faces of the Avenger's disappear. What am I going to do?