Chapter Twenty Three

With fumbling hands, Hero tied the blindfold around his head as he exited the temple. The black fabric impeded his vision, for sure, but it was better than listening to the screaming. Tugging it into a hasty knot, he ventured out onto the street, falling into step with the strangers going the same direction. He didn't know where he was going, he just needed to get away.

He didn't like that woman.

She was Y/N's mom, so of course she trusted her, but she gave him a bad feeling. Just being in the room with her made his skin crawl, he wanted to rip her away from Y/N and make her leave. The joy in Y/N's voice when she realized her mother was there made him, cringe, almost as if-

...he was jealous.

He wasn't jealous. There was something about that woman that set him off, but he wasn't jealous. It wasn't as if his relationship with Y/N would be somehow strained by her presence, or that she would prefer to be with her mother than with him.

Nether, maybe he was jealous.

Scowling, he shook it off. He had to think about something else.

His stomach rumbled a bit, and he veered off towards the marketplace. He should find something to eat.

Soon enough, Hero found himself lounging against the corner of a building, nibbling on a fried bit of battered meat on a stick. Idly, he watched the people passing by, of all shapes and colors. Many were refugees, he assumed, from the cities that Orion had attacked. Notch had mentioned something like that. Orion probably blended right in... as much as a demigod with floating hair and white skin could.

Speaking of blending in, was that a skeleton?

Hero fastened his gaze on the man, who was dressed in long robes and an elaborate headdress. He had only seen his face for a split second, and it looked far too gaunt to be living. Biting off the last of his meal and tossing away the stick, Hero merged into the crowd and began to follow.

As he suspected, the man didn't stay on the streets long. He soon turned down a dark alley, and Hero followed him a few moments later. He didn't want him to realize he had been seen. The man followed a twisting path through the alleys, soon arriving in what Hero quickly found to be a worse area of town. Interestingly, the man was completely ignored by the rabble that populated it, despite his rich garments. Perhaps they knew something was wrong.

Hero, on the other hand, was shoved twice, and a hand stuck in his pocket. They quickly backed off, however, when he threw sparks at them. No one wanted to mess with a demigod. At least he had that going for him.

The man finally arrived at what looked like a broken-down church, disappearing through a side entrance. Rather than following him directly, Hero found a broken window, slipping through that way instead. He removed the blindfold, now. It did him more harm than good in the darkness.

He wasn't surprised when he slipped into the chapel, immediately finding Orion standing before the pulpit.

The richly-dressed man appeared a moment later, removing his hood and revealing - surprise - a skull. Orion turned to face the skeleton, letting the book he had been studying fall shut.

"Report." Hero shuddered at the cold voice.

"We've found nothing on the south side." The skeleton's voice was raspy. "But we cannot enter Notch's temple."

"Set a guard on the temple, let no one go in or out without one of you seeing. Understand?" The skeleton nodded, replacing its' headdress, and it turned to leave. "Recall my personal guard," Orion added, almost as an afterthought. "Now."

"Yes." And the skeleton departed. Hero slipped behind a pew, sitting with his back against the rotting wood. What exactly was he supposed to do now? Maybe when the guard arrived, he could slip out while Orion was distracted. He hadn't gained much information, unfortunately, except for Orion's location. He supposed that could be good for something.

It was a few minutes before the guard arrived, a mix of zombies, skeletons, and zombie pig-men. Hero gave the creatures a funny look as they entered, unfortunately just beside his exit. He had never seen one in the flesh before.

"The Brine is here." Orion's voice startled him, and his blank eyes widened in alarm. "Kill him."

Immediately, the mobs spun in his direction, and Hero jumped upright, vaulting over a pew and fleeing for the exit of the chapel. More zombies appeared before him, but he clenched his fists, summoning flames that lit up his opponents and caused them to fall back. A fleeting glance behind him revealed that Orion still stood by the pulpit, watching calmly, and he gritted his teeth. He hadn't intended to be caught.

Hero swung a flaming fist at one of the guards at the exit, and the zombie fell back heavily upon impact. Unfortunately, the monsters behind him were rapidly approaching, and Hero turned to face them instead. One of the pig-creatures brandished a golden axe, and Herobrine swung again, but the pig caught his burning fist in one meaty hand. Hero struggled, trying to yank his hand away. Was this thing immune to fire?!

The pig shifted its' grip to his wrist, and yanked him forwards, hurling him into the rotting pews. Hero gasped sharply as he hit the fragile wood, most of which was crushed under his weight, and slammed into the stone floor. Pain rippled up his spine, but he pushed through it, scrambling upright. Orion had yet to move, and Hero dashed for the side door again, only to be caught in the back of the head with the handle of an axe. He slammed into the wall, stars flashing before his vision.

Familiar whispers were tugging at his consciousness, and he groaned, trying to shove himself upright with little success. Cold hands gripped his arms, dragging him up and away from his escape. Giving up, Hero let it happen. All he needed was an opening, for them to let their guard down for a second...

"Bring him here." He winced at Orion's voice, and his captors changed direction, dragging him towards the front of the room. Hero gritted his teeth, tasting blood from a split lip. Likely intending to gloat. His enemy still had yet to move, standing - no, hovering? - beside the worn-down pulpit. As he was dragged up the steps, the creature bent down, as if to investigate him. Hero met his gaze with a hateful glare of his own, holding it as long as his nemesis continued to stare.

"And what exactly possessed you to do something like this?" Orion said at last. Hero raised an eyebrow. "Hunt me down, alone, that is."

"I didn't know you were here." Hero spat.

"Still, a foolish move to trail one of my men." Orion flicked his forehead, and Hero flinched. "But, I suppose, understandable. You're not Brine, not now, are you?"

"I don't even know what I am anymore." Hero muttered. Orion sighed, backing up.

"Very well. Tell Brine I'll see him in another twenty years." He gestured, and the pig-man raised his axe, but not before a distorted hiss escaped Hero's lips.

"You'll see him now."

Fire exploded from his form, and the chapel was consumed in flame.