Chapter Nineteen

"No room?" Hero echoed, voice incredulous. "How?"

"For the same reason you're here, I reckon." The innkeeper responded gruffly. "You're not the only ones fleeing a burning city."

"Are there other inns in this area?"

"Not that I can tell."

"You would leave a young woman to sleep out in the cold, then??"

"I hardly have a choice, do I?" The innkeeper snapped back. "I can hardly kick out those who have paid for lodging. I'm afraid you won't have much luck here."

"Fine." Y/N's hand was grabbed, and Hero turned away with a huff. "Come on." She followed along, not willing to protest. She was busy dreading the thought of having to sleep out on the streets, out with the less-scrupulous people who surely frequented the city at night.

The pair had made it to Kvett not long before nightfall, and had fought their way through thinning crowds to the only inn they could find. Unfortunately, every room was already taken, apparently by those who had lost their homes in Orion's most recent attack. Y/N was feeling the exhaustion from their journey setting in, and had a sinking feeling it would get worse before the night was out.

Hero was muttering something, and she tried to tune into it to get an idea of what their next move was.

"Certainly not with a stranger." He was saying. "It's possible a library may allow us to stay the night."

"That sounds good." Y/N offered tiredly. Hero made an affirmative sound, and tugged her onwards.

Unfortunately, though, that idea bottomed out in failure as well. Any libraries Hero could find were locked up tight, and no one was inside, or, at least, there was no response no matter how hard Hero knocked and shouted. The only reaction to that was some cursing and insults hurled their way by a few homeless who were bundled up on the ground nearby. Y/N was just pondering whether it not it would be worth it to find a dry place to sleep when Hero tugged on her hand, changing their course.

"The temple of Notch appears to be open to the public." He murmured. "Perhaps we can spend the night there."

"Okay."

About twenty minutes later, the pair had found a corner of the temple to curl up in, Y/N using her pack as a pillow as she tried to get to sleep. While her body was exhausted, it seemed her mind wasn't ready to shut down just yet.

She hesitated, then whispered, "Hero?" but there was no response. Hero's back was pressed against hers in the little alcove, and he must already have fallen asleep. So Y/N rested her head and thought.

She thought about her mother, back in Orion's clutches. He had obviously moved to attack the Phoenix Kingdom, had he taken his prisoners with him? Would he have let them free? Or left some of his armies behind to keep them under control? She didn't want to consider the other option... or options.

She thought about Isaac, whom Orion had claimed was alive. Should she believe him? Did he have reason to lie? Why was he so obsessed with her, anyway? She hadn't noticed him harassing any other disabled people, although it was completely possible he did it when she wasn't around. Did he just hate blind people, like he alluded to when they first met?

She thought about Notch, too. Back in Ikaisal, when she and Hero had studied in the library, he had found a passage about some ancient rival who was Orion's sworn enemy. Maybe that was Notch? How ancient was he? When she thought about it, Y/N realized she really didn't know much about him - just that he was incredibly powerful, and apparently kind and just. Some sort of demigod?