A Talk with Becky

Becky came down from the attic apartment with Nicky and Alex at that moment, and Michelle went into the back yard to play with them. "What's up, Danny? How did the tryouts go?"

"Great. I got the part of guitarist in the Monkey Puppets." His smile faltered. "I just wish the girls were more thrilled." He finally admitted, "I'm not even sure Jesse's that enthused."

"Well, Danny, you have to admit, it does go totally against your image. And, 'Mildew' isn't exactly the rebellious type of name most rock and rollers use. But, you know, you do play a pretty good guitar."

"Yeah. I remember when Jesse moved out for a few days one time, and I could only do one or two simple things when I was trying to teach D.J. to play guitar. I kept making her nervous," he said wistfully. "I just want them to appreciate me."

"They do, Danny," Becky replied. "I think this is just a strange intrusion into their world. And, like it or not, they're going to struggle with that. It was different for Jesse, because he was always that way. You've always been 'Mr. Clean' — you won't turn into 'Mr. Rock Star' overnight. But, it's fun to follow a dream. Just like I told Nicky and Alex today."

"Why, what do they want to be?"

"They'd like to be lions at the zoo. They love those big roars."

Danny laughed — he should have known a child of almost three would have a funny goal like that. "I just love the thought of going on a tour, hanging with the guys; you know, it seems pretty cool. Of course, so does being a lion."