37

~Nick~

The drive from Willow's place is quiet beneath the weight of what I'd done, followed by what I'd said to her. I hadn't given her the chance to respond, though I really want to know how she feels. But I didn't want her response to be a result of the ass I'd made of myself--nor do I want it to be a knee jerk reaction to what I'd said. Though I'd meant it, I hadn't meant to say those words out loud. And now I'm worried because, even to me, it feels too soon to tell her something like that.

Right now, she is tucked into my side; with my arm wrapped around her, my fingers playing with her hair, all I want to do is turn my truck around and take her back home. Instead, I'm driving her to her date with the scumbag I'd love to beat. I swallow back a blistering flare of jealousy, knowing for certain now that it isn't that way for her, no matter what her waste of space ex might think.

From the corner of my eye, I watch her hand lift from her lap, touching the locket before she lets out a soft sigh. I smile then squeeze her gently. We'll get through tonight, and after that who knows? Maybe we'll be able to have a more normal relationship than we've been allowed to so far.

When we finally arrive at the restaurant, I find a place to park then help Willow from my truck. Without a second thought, I proudly lace my fingers through hers. At her pace, we walk where we'll wait for Gale to join us. As we wait, my nerves begin getting to me again, so I glance at Willow to ground myself. She looks up at me, then gives me a warm smile.

I lean down and kiss her tenderly; by the time I pull away, I'm feeling a little bit better. She squeezes my hand and then looks away as the sound of clacking heels catches both of our attentions. We turn in unison to see Gale sashaying up the walk, in what could easily be called a hooker's uniform.

I grin at her low-cut blouse, leather mini-skirt, and thigh-high boots, then actually laugh when she does a little spin for us. Willow giggles and shakes her head.

"Who's ready to have some fun tonight?" Gale asks brightly as she wedges herself between me and Willow.

I reluctantly let go of Willow's hand as Gale slips an arm around my waist. I look over her head, but Willow just shrugs her shoulders and gives me a playful grin.

This was your idea, she mouths then flashes me another brief smile before she turns away. I hold back a groan as we walk in together, then wait for a server to show us to our table. It doesn't take long before we are finally greeted and we fall in behind him, Willow first, me and my "date" following behind close behind her.

The young man leads us to the back, where Spencer is already seated and waiting for Willow's arrival. He smiles at her, but the gesture is short-lived when he sees the "couple" following in her wake.

"What are they doing here?" he asks when she sits down beside him.

She shrugs her shoulders as Gale and I watch our carefully designed cluster fuck begins to unfold, the one designed solely for our amusement ... and hopefully, his torture.

"I invited them. I thought a double date might be fun."

"You thought ...." He lets out a harsh breath then shakes his head and looks away.

"The rules never specified that it had to be a date between just you and me," she continues, ubperturbed by his irritation. "They wanted to join us, and I said I didn't mind at all."

"Did it ever occur to you that I might mind?" he asks, his tone caught somewhere between a hiss and a growl.

"Actually, it did. But the simple fact is: I don't care. You're not the only person who can figure out how to cheat the system." She gives him a warm smile and his frown turns quickly into a scowl.