9

It's moving day.

I stand now in the middle of my new apartment, turning in a lazy circle amid the boxes scattered around the floor. Surprisingly, I am at peace. It's only been two days since I accepted the keys from Gale Woodward, but already I'm coming to think of this as home. Soon Aiden will be back with Scott, Nick, and my father, with my new furniture in tow. Sarah, Ava, and my mom are on their way over to help me unpack. And while I'm not exactly happy with how fast all of this is happening, I am at least content.

When I turn to open the first box, there is a knock on my door. And then it opens.

"We're here, sweetheart!" my mother calls out, her tone as cheerful as I feel today. "And look what we found."

In one hand she holds a large thermos I know is full of coffee; in the other, a vase full of flowers. Red roses, at least a dozen of them or more. Baby's Breath is sprinkled over the deep green foliage and garnet petals like delicate snowflakes. I stare at them as she crosses to the kitchen counter, sets both them and the thermos down, then turns back to me with a bright smile.

But the flowers unnerve me and I can't pull my focus away from them. As if nudged forward by unseen hands, I reluctantly scuff my way across the floor, until I stand before them with a deep frown.

"Who are they from?" my sister asks as she enters behind Sarah. "Come on, Willow, don't keep us in suspense."

My frown deepens as I look them over for a card. I find it buried deep within the arrangement and gingerly pluck it out. I open the small envelope's flap, then pull out the even smaller card tucked inside. "Congratulations" is all that is written there.

"I don't know who they're from. There's no name."

Ava bounces across the floor then takes the card from my hand. She isn't any more subtle in this than anything else, and the action breaks me from my trance. My frown grows into a scowl when she returns the card to me.

"I think you might have a secret admirer," she says, her grin growing impossibly wider. "That's so exciting!"

"Exciting," I echo, though without the exhilaration she's displayed.

I can almost bet I know who they're from, though I don't recognize the handwriting, and that makes me want to throw open my window and chuck them out; watch them hit the ground in a mess of broken stems, scattered petals, and shattered glass. But I restrain myself. I don't know for sure it was Spencer, but who else could it be? He used to send me arrangements like this, but that was a long time ago. He hasn't done that in at least four years or more. If it was him, then why has he started to do it again now? Did he really mean it, when he said he wanted to try again?

I let out a harsh breath then reach past Ava, stick the card back inside the flowers, and slide the vase aside. I grab the thermos instead, then turn my back on the delicate extravagance I don't really want right now.

"Hey, Sarah?" I say, turning to my friend.

"Yeah?" She pulls her gaze from the flowers and turns it on me. I can see what she's thinking: she wants to know, just as badly as my sister does.

"Help me find my coffee mugs, please. I'd kill for a cup of this right now." And just like that I've dismissed the flowers, though that doesn't mean they're safe from receiving a flying lesson later. That thought almost makes me smile.

"I wonder who sent them?" my mother says softly, moving to stand beside me. I just shake my head and keep my guesses to myself. "It was an awfully sweet gesture, whoever they're from."

"Yeah, I guess. Hey, Sarah, did you find them?" I change the subject by addressing my friend instead. I really don't want to talk about the flowers.