+ V

***

On noons, Alexander drank the finest tea. Lavender, chamomile. And flips through a couple of magazine, mainly Vogue, with beguiling eyes trained on the latest outfits and lines and curves.

That day however he'd to close the day, his leisurely hours sooner than expected.

For Emmaline appeared.

Dull. Restless. Dull yet restless.

Her clothes were designed to evoke pity, her small frame hunching, a faint violet cardigan held in her one piece. Moreover, we could hardly stop fidgeting.

"You should be very, very scared."

I resisted. She's a new one. Let her see for herself. Soon, I'm handed her documents. "What do you think?" For somebody so nervous, there was certain stability to her voice. Her vocals were perfect, each syllabus rolled smoothly, I'd to sit down to stop myself from pointing it out. "You volunteered in bars and local amusement park..." How's that supposed to help?

Yet, I trailed off.

I'd a history of coming off too strong.

Women are delicate creatures.

Not the ones at my house but you get my point.

Emmaline played with her scarf. It was tied around her mousy hair, spring-like colors streaming down her shoulder. The frills on her dress were rather... Peculiar. I dived my head back to where it belonged. "4.0 GPA, you're... Fifteen... Good, caring and sweet, teacher's feedback -"

"- they lie a lot."

"Who?"

"Teachers. I wasn't that good."

Beautiful and honest.

Bite me.

I reflexively trailed off.

She took a seat in a flash.

"What brings you here to Wellington? Any aspirations, any...?"

My stern look changed as she fished a reply. "Jonathan offered. He's doing a lot for the rural areas, also... I came first in exams."

I'm striken by agitation. No shit, miss Sherlock.

"Can I show you around until the headmaster gets back?"

A smile.

A blooming one.

"That'd be much appreciated."

***

We'd five subjects compulsory : philosophy, history, biology, algebra and English.

I took long strides not waiting for shortcake to catch up.

"Music room. All sorts of things,"

"Y-yes."

"Violin, drums, piano... If you have the access card, you can practice in free time."

"I got that." She mumbled.

"Washrooms are toppled over one another over the left wing. Opposite to it is the massive library. Over it lays a bunch of staffroom." Quickening pace, I fixed my buttons. "There's elevator shaft for teacher that you are not supposed to take. Books you can get from clerk. I assume you have the book list on you?"

"Uhm—"

"- there's a copy of it directly across from main hall. The extra lobby is for advanced class. You're forbidden to enter."

She figured. Her submissive attempts at matching me agreed.

"From the headmaster's office, there's a prayer hall. Be there on seven."

Pretty soon I'd knocked her lungs breathless. "A-any extra curricular activities?"

"Top floor is theatre. Go there if you've permission. Underground swimming pool," I swerved. "Totally off limits!" I made a big dash in the air using my left hand, a grimmer expression showing. As I'd suspected — I caught her off guard. "Yes, Mr Hamilton!"

"Good. There's a ranch and a garden and a fountain and a cafeteria."

"Nice."

"Explore it on your own time."

I left her at the library.

***

"Favorite star?"

"Cameron Boyce?"

"Favorite movie?"

"Original Sin?"

Liar.

"Favorite bird...?"

"I-I don't know -"

"- do you swear your allegiance to us?"

"Aubrielle, leave."

At the lunch table, around the abstruse rectangularity, we were gathered. Helius, his pet under his cushioned chair partially concealed, he seemed interested in what Emmaline had to say. Contrary to him, Aubrielle couldn't shut the fuck up. "Do you like red hair?"

"Pretty cool I guess."

"Why do you not have eye brows?"

"You can't ask people that, sis."

Mental facepalm.

"We have veggie soup pretty often."

I judged Helius... Perhaps expecting him to throw a lease around Bri's long neck, which he didn't. "I've seen so many scholars," I murmured over when sure the girls were preoccupied with 'hair relaxers' topic. "They don't last half a year. This one looks —"

"- like your worst suspicion confirmed."

Yes!

As we sat in a hall of buzzing students (who couldn't care less for a newcomer it seemed), I couldn't help but wonder what secrets Emmaline has. No last name. Average build (she's not athletic looking), no conventional beauty, a bit dismissive. Thoughtfully, I chewed on a coriander leaf I must've found in the liquidic parody. Watery obscenity. Soup, whatever. I pushed the plate aside. One thing was becoming crystal —

I'd never understand father's taste in women.

***