The Boy with the Limp

Sweven: a vision seen in sleep

     "I have a name," I said, "and what is with all these weird words?"

     "They're just things we like ta say. I don't know, they been doin' it since before even I got here," Gally said. "And Greenie, or Greenbean, is just what we like to call the newbies."

     "Besides," Alby said, grinning slightly—the closest thing I had seen to a smile on his face so far, "Newt doesn't like us cussing." They laughed.

     "Speakin' of Newt... You guys really don't trust me, do ya?" Gally said, looking at someone behind me. I turned around and saw a cute boy, maybe a year or two younger than Alby—but still older than Gally and I—limping towards us. He was taller than me and Alby, but shorter still, than Gally. He had dirty blonde hair that was longer than the rest of the boys' and tied back into a low messy bun. He had a giant smile on his face. His was the first genuine-looking smile I had seen so far.

     "The names Newt, Greenie," He said, smiling. So this is the boy with the accent. I could tell at this moment that I was going to like him. I didn't know how, I just had a feeling; he's a good guy and a loyal friend. And, if he trusted these guys, I guess maybe I could too. Maybe.

     "It's Marie," I said, returning the smile.

     "Good that. Marie it is then." He looked to Gally. "The Runners should be back soon, eh?"

     "That's right," Gally responded, looking to the opening in the wall.

     "Runners?" I questioned.

     It was Alby that answered, "Yeah, that's what we call the—" he glanced between Newt and Gally, then to the opening when Gally nodded, "the people that go out there—what we call, 'the Maze'—and try to find us a way out." He finished cautiously, as if he was trying to choose his words carefully.

     "Out there?" I said, looking first at the opening, then at Gally, "But—but I thought that was against the number one rule." I raised my eyebrows

     "Well, these guys are different, okay," Gally countered quickly, "you are never going out there."

     "Why? Because I'm a girl?"

     "No, I—" Gally didn't finish.

     "Trust me, Greenie," Newt started but I glared at him, "Marie, you do not want to go out there."

     "Oh? And why is that?" Just then, I heard a loud metallic sound that most definitely did not come from a human. I felt my eyes widen and my pulse quicken.

     "That's why," Gally said.

     "Grievers, we call 'em," Newt said, "you'll be able to see one later, I think."

     "See one?"

     "Well, from afar, 'course," said Alby, "or, through a window."

     "Oh, okay," I said, not feeling the slightest bit better but not wanting to sound like a wimp.

     "They better be back soon," he said, looking back over at the opening.

     "They always are," said Gally.

     Just then, an attractive, muscular boy with dark, spikey hair and olive skin ran out from the opening, barely looking in our direction as he ran past us without slowing.