It's Going to be Okay

Serendipity: the chance occurrence of events in a beneficial way

     When we made our to the Homestead and opened the door, I headed immediately for the stairs to find Gally. Before I could go, though, someone blocked my path.

     "No one's allowed up there," the boy said. "Something bad happened and Gally is up there hurt."

     I opened my mouth to say something, but Newt spoke first. "Yeah, we know," was all he said.

     "Oh, good," a familiar voice spoke from behind the boy in our way. "We were just coming to get you."

     The boy turned to reveal Jeff behind him. he had an odd look on his face, slightly relieved but also panicked. Minho was next to him and flocked immediately to Newt's side. They were whispering to each other but I didn't care enough to try and hear what they were saying.

     I rushed up the stairs, following Jeff and urging him to move quicker. Leo was right behind me, sticking close but not saying a word.

     We got to the room Gally was in. The room seemed crowded and some people were even standing outside. So much for people not being allowed up here, I thought.

     Nick was standing outside the door and glared at me as I walked up to it. I tried to avoid his eye contact and made sure to stay close to the boys around me. Jeff led us into the room and the crowd parted, looking at me as I walked past.

     I froze when I saw Gally asleep on the bed. He was shirtless, a bandage wrapped around his stomach. It was surprising how quick they were able to clean and wrap it.

     Clint had been crouching next to the bed but stood and wiped the blood off his hands. "Alright," He said to the group, "he needs some rest." He gestured for everyone to leave the room.

     I stayed put, staring at Gally. He was sleeping on his back, his arms at his side. He probably fell asleep as soon as they let him lay on the bed. His chest heaved with each breath and he let out small snores. There was a small amount of blood seeping through the bandage but he looked like he was going to be okay.

     Leo grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "He's going to be okay," He told me, as if he could read my thoughts. I looked up at him and smiled sadly.

     "Thanks to you," Clint said.

     I faced him and furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?" I asked.

     "Well, if you hadn't known to put pressure on the wound, he may have lost too much blood. May not have made it." When I didn't respond, he continued. "Where'd you learn to do that, anyway?"

     "Like I would know," I scoffed.

     "Right."

     I sighed. "I don't know. He was bleeding and I knew he couldn't lose too much. It was a heat of the moment decision."

     He nodded and that was the end of it. I wish everyone here was that way; that easy to please.

     I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see that it was Minho. I hadn't talked much to the runner, but I liked him. He seemed like a funny guy, even though all I really knew about him was how close he seemed to be with Newt. "We should probably just let him sleep for now," he said.

     I nodded. I noticed my fingers still intertwined with Leo's and gave his hand a small squeeze but didn't let go; it was nice to have the comfort.

     We turned to leave but Newt didn't. He walked the other direction. We all stopped and watched him as he walked over to the chair next to the bed, picked up the blanket that had been laying on it, and covered Gally with it. Like a mother tucking in a child for bed. I smiled at the gesture; a truly genuine smile.

     When he was finished, Newt walked back over to us and came with us out of the room, along with Clint, who shut the door behind us.

     "It won't be long before he's up and at 'em," Clint said, "Don't you worry your pretty little head. He's a tough one."

     "That's for sure," Newt replied. He put his hand briefly on my shoulder then gestured for us to leave. Clint stayed behind while the rest of us—Minho, Newt, Leo, and I—walked down the stairs and out of the homestead.

     Judging by the looks on everyone's faces, we all felt the same way. Our heads were swimming with thoughts and we wanted to be alone to process everything, but were also in desperate need of the comfort of others.

     We all stayed together but away from others as we left the Homestead. No one talked, but we all kept walking until we were eventually back at the Deadheads. Leo squeezed my hand again. I hesitated slightly to follow the others into the forest but eventually did so.

     We didn't go far, however, before coming to a stop and sitting down. Leo and I sat against an outside wall of the Maze and Newt and Minho sat against some trees opposite of us.

     Unable to hold it all in anymore, I allowed myself to cry, completely releasing the barrier in front of people for the first time in all the days since I have been in the Glade.

     Leo put his arms around me and I allowed myself to sink into him, feeling comfort in his touch, as sudden as it may be, and I realized that today was the first time I felt true comfort in the Glade; first with Gally and now with Leo and Newt and Minho. The only sounds were Leo's and my breathing, and the quiet murmurs of Newt and Minho's conversation. And I fell asleep quickly in Leo's arms.