Caught Up

•Caine Taylor •

"May you reach that level within, where you no longer allow your past or people with toxic intentions to negatively affect or condition you"- Lalah Delia

"Good work Taylor! Thank you for working overtime today." Reggie tells me as I hunch over trying to catch my breath.

"I'm still getting an extra day off right?"

"Yeah, you have Friday through Sunday off."

"Aight, don't call my phone 'cause I'm not picking up." I tell him jokingly with a serious undertone. I deserve my three day break after the work I did today.

"Enjoy it."

"Believe me, I'm taking advantage of that shit."

"Stop by the break room and make sure to grab some water and snacks. You look like you could use some." He pats me on my back before he walks away.

"Man, that's the last fucking time I offer to work overtime. Trying to kill a nigga." Tahj pulls at his shirt to cool himself off. Sweat drips down both of our faces agitating us even more.

"You going home and knocking out?"

"I'm about to ask my girl to give me a massage."

"You think she can give me one?"

He sticks up him middle finger and laughs. "Hell nah, go ask Iris."

"Fuck you! I hope yo girl gives you the worst massage, and vacuums while you try to sleep."

"It was never that deep."

"Says you."

"And on that note, I'm out. I'll see you later."

"Bye nigga."

I hop in my car when we part ways and drive off. I'm too ready for a bath so I can go to my appointment. A nigga needs a hair cut pronto!

When I get home,  I check my messages while I walk to my room. Hearing Erica's voices makes me roll my eyes. It's like I can't get away from this girl no matter how hard I try. When is she going to realize that I don't want to be with her anymore? We've run our course.

"Call me back or I'm popping up. You know I know where you lay your head at night." I walk inside my bathroom and turn on the water. I strip and grab a towel and washcloth. This is the last thing that I want to deal with after a long day of work. Nobody wants to be more drained from an unnecessary argument after being drained from work.

I get inside the tub and start to take a bath. I scrub and make sure to get every place, washing all the dirt off of me. Today has already been a long day and I'm not even finished with it.

I wrap the towel around my waist when I step out the tub. Then, I walk over to the sink to brush my teeth. After, I walk to my closet. I choose something plain because there's no one I need to impress. I put on a black t-shirt, gray sweatpants, and a a pair of gray and and black Jordan 4s. I spray my cologne, grab my keys, and head back out the door.

Moneybagg Yo's Wockesha blasts through my speakers as I cruise the street. It's been out for a minute and I get hype ever time I hear it. My windows are rolled down as I ride to my appointment. People look in my direction nodding their head and waving. Even though I stay low key, people know me and who I run with. Most people would call me trouble but I like to say good trouble. I'm not one to be played with and everyone knows that. When you see me, give me respect and I'll reciprocate.

I greet everyone as I walk inside the shop. I take a seat in the chair ready for this shape up. It's honestly funny how I've been looking so rough, but I'm always at work.

I shut my eyes and try to relax. My mind goes straight to Oakland, amazed at how many times I've run into her. Clearly there's a reason we keep crossing paths. There's something about her that makes me want to get to know her.

"What's good Menace." I open my eyes seeing Black sitting across from me. I lean forward and slap hands with him.

"Chilling man, what about you?"

"Same man, or at least trying to. Zeph has been driving me crazy with his bad ass."

"Like father like son."

"I have to apologize to my mama for how I acted. Now I see how she felt." I laugh knowing where he was coming from. If I ever have kids, I hope God gives me a break and blesses me with some chill ones.

"Lil man giving you hell?"

"I just want him to chill out for a while. The crazy thing is he doesn't act like this for his mama."

"Choice got that ass handled."

"Must be, 'cause ain't no fucking way."

"Aye yo, I ran into your girl the other night?"

"Choice?"

"Oakland." His eyebrows raise interestedly. "She was with a friend at the corner store."

"You two spoke?"

"Yeah, I paid for some snacks they had."

"How was her interaction?"

"Standoffish."

"Of course."

"That was like our third time running into each other. I feel like that may be a sign for something."

"You trying to fuck with her?"

"I don't mind getting to know her. She seems like she keeps to herself but once she lets you in there's no leaving her alone." If anything she might be the change of pace I need.

"Her energy is definitely one worth fucking with. But I know how your ass is so I'm going to have to respectfully tell you to leave her alone."

"Fuck you mean?"

"Wasn't your ass just trying to fuck with Iris?"

"Okay and? Iris got a nigga and it's not like I'm trying to fuck the girl. I just want to get to know her."

"I'll tell you like this, that's my sister and I'm always going to protect her at any cost. But you know what? Go ahead and try it. I can't wait to hear your reaction to her shutting you down."

I stick up my middle finger; that's some shit to say. "Fuck you nigga."

"I know how she is I'm only trying to warn you."

"Nah, you trying to throw that shit in my face and hope it doesn't work out. If anything it sounds like you don't want her to be happy."

"I do, that's why I don't want you fucking with her."

"Bitch, just give me her number so I can schedule something with her." I get up and walk over to him ready to snatch his phone out of his hands. He holds a tight grip on his phone preventing me from taking it.

"Nah nigga, see if you run into her again. Fourth time's a charm."

"It's third time, stupid."

"Exactly so you already missed your chance."

"Aight, wait until I actually get her, I'm rubbing that shit in ya face."

"That's exactly what I'm talking about. Oakland's not a toy you can play with. She has feelings and how you treat her matters. I know she seems like she doesn't give a fuck but she internalizes it. That shit will eat away at her and she piles it on until she can't take it anymore. I don't need her like that again."

"I know that, like I said I just want to get to know her."

"Good luck to you."

I suck my teeth and walk back over to my barber. I hand him cash before leaving out. I'm running into Oakland and when I do, I'm asking her out. There's too many signs for me not to take a chance and get to know her.