SCREAM | seven

The rest of the summer flew by in a blur of anxiety, as Vera anticipated what going to Hogwarts would be like. She could already tell that she wasn't the same girl who had come from the compound a few months ago, mostly thanks to Remus, who had recently taken to telling Vera about his times at school, both as a student and professor.

He had taken her to Diagon Alley for the first time, and had mentioned that it was in extreme disarray as tensions in the wizarding world brewed. He had helped her pack her trunk for school, and answered any questions. And now, he was taking her to the platform.

"The Weasleys offered to take you," he said quietly. He hadn't wanted to apparate the whole way as the full moon had made him quite tired. They had apparated into the city and decided to take the train the threat of the way. "But I figured you probably wouldn't like having an auror escort."

Vera shook her head, though she didn't dare look away from the small other group of people on the train. She couldn't help but feel incredibly on edge. She had this sinking feeling that they knew who she was, or they knew who Remus was, or that they were strangers but wanted to hurt her all the same. Her knuckles were white as she clutched the metal pole next to her.

"Are you excited?" Remus asked, clearly trying to distract her from her blatant anxiety. She shrugged, still quiet. After a moment's pause she turned to Remus slightly.

"What if I'm not a Gryffindor?" she asked softly, her thoughts of Ginny's earlier words overwhelming her already overwhelmed mind. "What will happen?"

"You'll make friends, do your classwork, speak to your head of house if you're having difficulty adjusting, and you'll come back for winter break- or you'll find it so enjoyable that you'll stay there. There are no bad houses, Vera. There are only people, and the choices that they make. There are good Slytherins, there are bad Gryffindors. What matters most is your happiness," Remus smiled wisely at her. The train slowed and Remus stood. "Come, this is our stop."

Vera grabbed her trunk with as much ease as she could muster, shot once last panicked glance to the other group in the car, and followed Remus into King's Cross Station. Her eyes widened as she took in the sight.

She had been in train stations before, she had been in the most grandiose and decedent buildings that one could dream of. But before, she had never had the time to look, the willpower to look, the urge to look. Today, it felt as if her eyes had been opened for the first time.

"Let's keep moving," Remus suggested, though he smiled at her reaction. "The entrance is just over here, all you need to do is step through that wall between platforms nine and ten."

Vera had been told to things odder, and so she moved with Remus, clinging to him as if he was a safety blanket, and stepped through the wall just after him. The platform was crowded, with people hopping on and off the scarlet train engine as if it meant nothing. Scared first years were waving goodbye to their parents and tentatively stepping on the train.

"Are you ready?" Remus asked. Vera nodded, though she was becoming increasingly anxious.

"I'll write you," Vera promised. "That is a thing that people do here, no?"

"It is, and I'll write you back," Remus smiled at her. "Now go, you should have enough time to get settled if you get on the train now."

Vera nodded, bade him goodbye awkwardly, and moved towards the train. She hesitates a moment before she stepped on. Looking up and down the corridor of the train, she picked a direction and continued down it until she found an empty compartment.

She struggled slightly to lift her trunk over her head, but once she had done so, she sank into her seat, her anxiety only growing. She pawed at her sleeve desperately, hoping she would find a knife, but she had, very sadly, had to leave them all with Remus. He had given her forewarning that the increased security around Hogwarts would not let her take any weapons inside, though he had no idea of how many weapons Vera was used to carrying on her person.

"Is this seat taken?" the voice coming from the doorway made her jump. She shook her head slowly and her new companion took a seat across from her.

"I'm Arson," Arson introduced with a grin, settling into the seat with ease. "Who are you? You don't look pesky enough to be a first year, but I've never seen you before."

"I'm Vera." Vera replied quietly. "Dumbledore's letting me start late due to special circumstances."

"Oh, you're the missing girl who just got found!" Arson said excitedly, before drawing back. "I'm sorry, I really meant to keep that one to myself."

"It's alright, it's my life, I shouldn't be afraid of the past," Vera sighed. She moved to change the subject quickly. "Arson is a unique name. I like it."

"Thanks," Arson grinned. "Picked it out myself." Vera smiled.

"What house are you in, Arson?" Vera asked.

"I'm a Slytherin- I know everyone who first meets me thinks I'm a Gryffindor because I'm loud," Arson continued.  "And I will admit, the squirrelly types in Slytherin don't match my energy most of the time, but if any little shithead calls me a Gryffindor this year, I'm taking them out."

"Why'd you pick Arson, if you don't mind me asking," Vera said. "I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions."

"Well the name my Mum gave me was all flowery and girly. And when I came out as non-binary, I wanted a name that was exactly not flowery and girly. So I picked Arson," they said, leaning back with a shrug of nonchalance.

"Sorry," Vera asked quietly, afraid she was asking too many questions. She had never been more interested in a person than she was right now. "But.... what's non-binary?"

"It just means you don't identify with gender, or at least that's what it means to me," they said simply. "So I'm not a girl, I'm not a boy, I'm just an Arson. And instead of gendered pronouns, I just use they/them."

"Oh," Vera said, offering a smile to Arson. "Thanks."

"Enough about me, let's talk about you- I think we're gonna be great friends," Arson grinned back at Vera.

Vera's smile was nervous, but she committed, and for what was really the first time in years, she talked about herself.

a/n: see look at me I do know how to update! i hope I did enbies everyone justice with the explanation- if not let me know and i'll change it. and welcome to the story arson, who is in fact operating on pure spite and maybe an energy drink.