Chapter 20

Barnes took the back of the building and I took the front. He fired his gun twice and I released an arrow that struck a burly relic-man in the thigh. His three accomplices dove for cover. I looked for gaps, but when I didn't see any, I leapt from the convey belt to the top of another piece of machinery.

I had a better view here and picked off two more of the relic-men. The final one proved elusive. While the other three cursed and cried out in pain, the last relic-man had found a sturdy piece of cover.

Again, I left my post and slunk through the equipment, arrow ready to be drawn. Carefully, I crept closer until I managed to land an arrow in his arm. Shockingly, he tried to fight back, despite the injury. Appearing as though he had nothing else to lose, he broke free of his cover and charged at me.

The next arrow I fired was warped and flew wide, leaving me with one final projectile that I landed in the assailant's calf. He went down like a felled tree.

"Kavanagh!"

Barnes was out of bullets and had taken up Kipps's rapier, although it looked uncomfortable in his hands. A half dozen relic-men and -women were upon him, armed with an assortment of crude weaponry.

I charged into battle, swinging the bow so hard at one relic-woman that it splintered on impact. Tossing it aside, I drew my rapier and stood side by side with Barnes, Kipps and our prisoners to our back.

"Flare!" I shouted, tearing one from my belt and chucking it into the fray.

Barnes ducked. I turned and threw myself over Kipps, who grunted in protest as I crushed his injuries.

Apologizing, I pushed myself up just long enough to lob another flare before pressing back down again.

When the dust settled, no one was left standing. The force had knocked the relic-men and -women to the ground. Most of them were unconscious or at least dazed.

"Kavanagh, Donovan!" Barnes realized.

I scrambled to my feet, realizing what Barnes was on about. Collin's hands had been cuffed together, but he'd used the distraction of the explosions to clamber to his feet and make like hell for the front exit.

"On it!"

I tore after him down the length of the warehouse, mildly impressed that he was foolish enough to climb through a broken window into the night. I didn't even break stride as I dove after him.

Even with an arrow protruding from his shoulder and his hands chained together, he was quick.

"Collin, stop or I'll run you through," I threatened, drawing my dagger.

Stupidly, Collin continued to flee, making for the neighboring warehouse. He had a twenty-meter lead that was closing fast, but I stumbled a step, a wave of cold slamming into me.

Something paranormal was afoot.

It didn't take long to spot the spirit ahead of Collin. His Talents were too far gone for him to notice. That, or he was too focused on the task at hand. Or perhaps he fancied his chances with the spirit instead of me.

Maybe he wasn't as foolish as I'd thought.

I surged forward with the last of my energy, closing the distance and tackling Donovan to the ground. The arrow in his arm smashed against the pavement with enough force to shatter the shaft. There was also enough force to tear the wound in his arm open more. He yelled in pain.

"Woopsies," I said, pressing down on his shoulder as I climbed to my feet, not caring one bit as he wailed in pain. "Oops. Sorry about that."

I heaved him up.