Chapter 21

"Alistair," I called as I eased open the door.

He circled around my feet as I shut the door, meowing and begging for attention. I scooped him up and carried him through the apartment, making little chirping noises.

I dug through the kitchen cabinets and found a plastic container full of kitty kibble. Alistair was much more interested in that as I topped off the crumbs in his bowl. While he ate, I refilled the water dish in the kitchen and the glass in the bathroom for him as Kipps had instructed.

I gathered up the things Kipps had requested and refrained from taking a peek inside his sketch book, as tempting as it was. Instead, I studied the drawings on the wall in the bathroom, taking in the intricate details.

Visiting hours were a while off, but Kipps's flat was closer to the hospital, so I crashed on his sofa and managed a few hours of shut eye. When I woke, I called Hardy's extension at the Lodging House.

"Sloane? What's going on? Burr is freaking out," Hardy interrupted after I'd gotten two words out.

"I can't talk about it, Hardy. I'm bound by DEPRAC confidentiality. That said, if anyone shows up at Grimble for me, don't tell them anything about where I am. Anyone includes DEPRAC. The only person I would be interested in hearing from is Barnes, alright?"

"Darling, what's going on? Are you in trouble with DEPRAC?"

"Not exactly, no, just worried about some things. The underworld might be a little upset with me at the moment and I don't want to tangle with that. I'm taking an extended leave of absence from Grimble for the time being while everything is sorted out. I'm sorry I can't say more, but I wanted you to know I am alright."

"And Kipps? I feel like he's involved somehow. You are calling from his flat, after all."

"He's in hospital."

"Oh my God!" Hardy cried.

"He'll be fine. We'll be fine. Everything will be fine."

"Why are you trying to convince yourself? I mean, you're failing miserably."

"Gee, thanks, love."

"Let me know what I can do."

"If something comes to mind, I'll let you know. Thanks, Hardy. I'll check in later."

I hung up and left to catch the bus. Visiting hours were in full swing when I arrived at the hospital, and Shaw and Vernon were at Kipps's bedside. I hovered against the wall by the window, bag dangling from my arm, waiting patiently.

"Afternoon, Kavanagh," Shaw said. "You look terrible."

"Thanks, I've been getting that a lot lately," I replied.

"Did you get some sleep?" Kipps asked.

"A little. I also got these," I said, holding up the bag. "I thought about smuggling Alistair into the hospital, but I think I've pushed my luck enough with the staff. Next time I'm in here with an injury, I'd like them to have a little respect for me."

"Come here often?" Shaw teased.

"More than I'd like. More than my bosses would like."

"So you're that type of agent," Shaw observed.

What was that supposed to mean?

Before I could ask, a nurse stepped inside and began to check over Kipps's charts before checking the machines and his vitals. Satisfied, she left again.

"Come on, Bobby," Shaw finally said. "We have a case."

The two of them left and I moved over to Kipps's bedside and set the bag down on the seat of drawers.