Chapter 23

"Quill?" I called, letting myself in to his flat.

Stopping by sometime after sunup had become a part of my post-work routine since my reinstatement two weeks ago. Kipps was still on the mend, but the doctors were about ready to clear him for field work again.

Allowing me back into the field had been a risky decision. Burr had pushed for it, and ultimately, Barnes caved. His extensive internal investigation was still ongoing, but he had made a series of arrests, flushing out an entire DEPRAC unit that was involved in moving relics. Lighton and Donavon's old team had also been arrested, something Fittes frantically worked to cover up. Thanks to their incredible PR team, the whole thing had been kept hush-hush.

"Hey, babe," Quill said, meeting me just through the door. He pushed it closed and stepped closer, pressing me against the doorframe.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and drew him, closing the distance between us. One of Quill's hands splayed against the wall beside my head, the other snaked around my waist.

"And how is your afternoon going?" Quill asked, pulling away slightly.

"It certainly just got better," I remarked, running a hand through his hair and kissing him again.

"You say that every time we see each other, you sap."

"Because it's true." I kissed him one more time, dropping my arms so I could take his hands in mine. "It was actually quite a good night. We wrapped up that case in Kensington, which was a little bittersweet."

It marked the end of my reign as Sage Team Leader. AJ was officially in charge of the team as I took a step back. Leadership training was picking up and I was still working in the field to ease the transition between AJ and I. My days were packed, but Kipps didn't mind that I showed up after a long case and a terrible night's sleep. Quill's own sleep schedule was skewed as he prepared to transition back to working in the field, which meant our routines almost coincided.

"Did you give a rousing farewell speech?" Quill asked, stepping back toward the kitchen, leading me by the hands.

"No. Norton and Richard managed to detonate six magnesium flares and blew off their own eyebrows. Somehow, it didn't seem fitting."

"That explains the singed hairs."

I winced. I'd barely managed to drag Miles out of the blast zone, but there was salt and magnesium sprinkled in my hair, the tips of which were ever so slightly singed. My hairdresser was going to throw a fit. Okay, Hardy was my hairdresser. She used embroidery scissors and cut my hair in the bathroom when she felt like it was getting a bit long. I'd avoided her when I returned to the Lodging House for a shower and a few hours' sleep.

"I didn't think it was that bad. Is it bad?" I asked.

"No, not at all. You're perfect, darling."

"And I'm the sap in this relationship?"

Quill grinned, kissing the tip of my nose before turning to flick on the burner and heat water for tea. I hopped up on the counter, slipping my hands under my thighs, watching Quill as he moved through the kitchen.

Sun was streaming through the window, illuminating the kitchen as he gathered the supplies to make porridge. He was wearing plaid pajama bottoms and a threadbare t-shirt, his hair tossuled and unstyled. I liked him like this, at ease and completely himself.

The water boiled and I leaned over from my seat on the counter to grab the crockery and tea bags. I prepped the teacups and Quill filled them with water, reaching over to stir the porridge once more before stepping in front of me.