SCP-2316_Field-Trip

Danger: Drowning Hazard. Please repeat the following phrase slowly and clearly before continuing.

'I do not recognize the bodies in the water.'

————————————————————————
Disclaimer: I do not own anything from the scp universe, only my OC's. All the credit for the scp's belongs to their respective authors and the scp wiki.

These stories may contain bad language, blood, violence and sometimes death. You have been warned.

Without further ado,
Chapter 2: SCP-2316_Field-Trip
————————————————————————

The sun edged on the break of dawn, painting the arctic horizon in hues of rose and gold. Shadows stretched across the ground as the feeble light of morning filtered through the leaves.

Branches coated in crystals of ice bowed down to the ground, praying for the warmth of spring to arrive once again. Unfortunately, spring wasn't so forgiving, or warm. It was already summer and the warmth they wished for never came. It never does in this area.

Emma pulled her coat tighter. Her body shivering when a cold draft of wind stung her cheeks and ears. Had she known it be this cold, she would have worn more than just a cheap cotton trench-coat. But what did she expect? It's not like she could afford thick extravagant clothing. Live here was already hard as it is.   

She tucked her hands together and let the moist steam evaporate from underneath her warm breath. It didn't help much. Only granting warmth for a split second. Even so, this almost insignificant amount of heat was enough to lessen the tingling sensation in her fingers.

The world around her seemed silent. A bit too silent. Even the birds had lost their voices. All she could hear, was her own controlled breathing and the dead leaves that crunched beneath her feet.

The smell of damp pine made the air feel fresh and clean. There was just something about being surrounded by nature that felt so relaxing and peaceful. It was the perfect distraction from the harsh reality she wished to never face. That's why taking an early morning walk through the forest seemed like a great idea. Now, not so much. She should go back home and enjoy the beautiful nature from 'inside', next to a warm fireplace with hot Choco.

Emma stopped on top of a hillside. Her eyes slowly wandering from one side to another. Which way was back home again? She had never ventured this far from the town before. Her mother used to warn her about going too far. Something about a weird accident that happened so many years ago. Most knew about it, but sadly everyone has forgotten. Why did they forget?

A faint glister in the distance grabbed her attention. There was a spark of curiosity that immediately burned into a wildfire and overpowered her desire to go home. Emma cautiously stepped towards the glister and into the open.

Countless fern trees of pine and oak edged a massive lake. An overgrowth of dried reed covered the left side. Discarded and neglected by the community, the lake had seen better days. Icy black water of unclear depth rested lifelessly beneath a veil of ghostly-white mist, so thick, she couldn't even see the other side. Mist was normal in this area, but not around this time of year. Which was a bit strange.

Birds were nowhere to be seen and wolves dared not to speak, not even the leaves rustled in the wind. Instead, the water lay desolate and still, as though it was in a death-like slumber.

Quite depressing to look at really. But at the same time, there was something captivating about it. Emma had heard of this lake before. First time seeing it though.