Chapter 2

Chapter 2 – the phone call

"hello", he spoke patiently waiting for a response. "sorry to disturb you, this is officer Jerry speaking....well, a woman, Mandy Cromwell, has just died in the hospital and told me to speak to you about the guardianship of her daughter...her name is Raven Cromwell....16 years of age....yes, thank you....ok that's fine I'll inform her of the news....of course.... I'll email you the rest of the details.... Ok....goodbye", he finished the call, turning to face me.

"So?" I asked, eager to know the answer.

"Well, there is good news and bad news. Which first?" he asked me as if I was a child, honestly these people.

"good news, I like to hear the worse after" I told him.

"well, the good news is... you have brothers and they agreed to take care of you. But the bad news is-" oh shit. "-you have to move to America they live in Las Vegas. You will be picked up at the airport in 4 days, after your mother's funeral."

"they? As in plural?" no then stupid why else would he have said it?

Oh shut up bro

"yeah, exactly" he answered and walked off, leaving me alone in the hospital car park.

Dumb officer how was I supposed to get home now?

I decided to call one of the only people I trust, hoping he could pick me up and provide me with some solace. My boyfriend, Jamie. Just the thought of him made my heart melt and I started feeling all flustered. Ew. What the hell is wrong with me. I decided to do something stupid when he answered the phone.

"hello?"

"hi, my honeysuckle cream pie with a cherry on top." I replied cringing at my own line.

He laughed, immediately settling any nerves or any kind of embarrassment.

"where did that come from?" he asked amused at my antics.

"I actually don't know but I ensure you it means only one thing" I replied.

"uh huh and what's that?" he asked still laughing.

"that my brain works in wonderful ways and even you can't deny that."

"that's probably very true. So, what's up?"

For the first time that night I felt at peace and like myself.

"I kind of need a favour and well I guess I just want to see you." I replied slightly blushing even though he couldn't see.

"ok actually before you ask it of me, we need to talk" he said saying those words. The words any side of a relationship hate to hear. The last time someone said that to me she... never mind. I took a deep breath and nodded my head before realising my own stupidity and speaking a quick yes into the phone.

"um well. We need to break up." Time stood still. My heart shattered and unshed tears made there way back to my eyes. "it's not you it's me and well it's for the best." How cliché and what the hell kind of apology is that and who breaks up over the phone. And what did I even do to make this happen? too many unanswered questions were running through my head today and it's annoying me so much.

"Why?" I asked demanding an answer before realising it might be easier for my rapidly changing life. Yes, girl don't let him break you. Shut up voice. But it's true. Shut up. "you know what? Don't answer that question. It works out perfectly anyways, my mu- some family issues came up and I'm moving to America in a few days anyway so at least we won't have to try long distance." I replied trying to seem unbothered by it all.